Contributing Writer for Wake Up World
Water is a bountiful gift of nature. We see it all around us in the falling rain, lakes, rivers, the ocean, early morning dew, waterfalls, taps, swimming pools, showers and even plastic bottles. Until the recent industrial era we drank water freely from streams and rivers, not giving a second thought to whether it was safe – it just was.
So where did things go so wrong?
With our bodies composed of somewhere upwards of 60% water, it is an important element for human life; a basic human right. When did water become a controlled commodity?
One of the biggest problems that we face today, is that there is so much conflicting information about which water we should drink, that it is difficult to make a conscious choice. ‘Which’ water to drink has been a challenging dilemma for me, my whole adult life. It seems almost every which way I turn, there is something to compromise. Once I start pulling at a lose thread, the whole garment rapidly falls apart.
This article is going to explore our realistic options, so that we can at least begin to make more informed decisions about the water we drink.
Tap water varies in quality from region to region; it has frequently been proven to be laden with contaminants in the form of fluoride, chlorine, drugs, arsenic, heavy metals, pesticides and pathogens.
Recently the Scientific American reported that: ’18 unregulated chemicals were found in drinking water from more than one-third of U.S. water utilities’. They went on to say; ‘the perfluorinated compounds, known as PFOA, have been linked to a variety of health problems, including cancer, among people in communities where water is contaminated by a chemical plant in West Virginia’.
The Natural Resources Defense Council (USA) also reported this:
- Tap water can contain a vast array of contaminants, but a handful showed up repeatedly in the water of the cities we studied:
- Lead, which enters drinking water supplies from the corrosion of pipes and plumbing fixtures and can cause brain damage in infants and children
- Pathogens (germs) that can make people sick, especially those with weakened immune systems, the frail elderly and the very young
- By-products of chlorine treatment such as trihalomethanes and haloacetic acids, which may cause cancer and reproductive problems
- Arsenic, which may cause cancer, serious skin problems, birth defects and reproductive problems
- Radon, the rocket fuel perchlorate and other carcinogens or otherwise toxic chemicals
The Fluoride in Drinking Water Controversy
It may come as a surprise to learn that fluoride is a well known rat poison and insecticide. This compound has been shown to cause crippling bone disease in people who’ve been drinking from water with high levels of this chemical. It has also been shown to affect bone health and effect other tissues in the body. A great source of information for studies on this is FlourideAlert.org
Studies show shocking links between flouride and lowered IQ levels:
‘Over the last several several decades an astonishing 24 studies have established a statistical link between flouride exposure and low IQ’s in children. One study conducted by the Center for Endemic Disease Control in China, found that each additional milligram of flouride detected in every litre of a child’s urine was associated with a 0.59 decrease in their IQ score. Another study found that flouride exposure slashed the number of children receiving ‘high IQ’s by more than 70%.’ [NaturalNews.tv]
Which Nations Fluoridate?
Whilst many countries in the world do not consume fluoridated water, the following countries are the main culprits. These statistics are from the British Fluoridation Society in 2012 (with the percentage of people who drink artificially fluoridated water in brackets):
- USA (64%)
- UK (11%)
- Australia (80%)
- Hong Kong (100%)
- New Zealand (61%)
- Ireland (73%)
- Malaysia (75.5%)
- Spain (11%)
- Brazil (41%)
- Chile (70%)
- Brunei (95%)
- Fiji (36%)
- Singapore (100%)
- Canada (44%)
- Argentina (19%)
For more country specific info on fluoridation, check out this great document that looks at the extent of water fluoridation around the world: Extent of Fluoridation.
Mass Fluoride Medication
Fluoridation of the water supply is essentially mass human medication, without informed consent from the people, (who generally have no idea that it is happening).
Watch this short and informative animated movie about The Fluoride Deception. It exposes the facts about water fluoridation and the phosphate mining industry. Rather eye opening!
For further professional perspectives and insight into the fluoridation industry watch this video here…
Tap Water is Not Ideal to Use as Drinking Water
Given the contaminants regularly found in tap water, we can probably conclude that it is clearly not the ideal solution for drinking. There are however, some excellent options and filtration systems, that may radically improve the quality of water from your tap, to make it safe from drinking. I’ll be exploring our water filtration options in another article very soon.
The Bottled Water Story
Given the dangers of tap water, we might then be forgiven for thinking that we should all drink bottled water. Think again!
I hold my hands up. Like many of us, not knowing which way to turn, I’ve fallen into the bottled water trap before. In a nutshell: plastic bottles are not ideal for us or the planet. Far from it. Whilst there are some great companies out there, there are lots of dubious, unethical corporations selling tap water in bottles. Throw in the cocktail of chemical contaminants that leach into bottled water from the plastic, then the downsides starts rapidly stacking up. Check out my article ‘The Dark Side of Bottled Water’ to explore the pros and cons of drinking bottled water.
ALTERNATIVES – So What on Earth Am I Supposed to Drink?
Both bottled water and water straight out of the tap are certainly poor choices, yet despite the challenges, there are informed options that we as people can make. Here are some tips to help support healthy water consumption…
- Eat lots of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables or drink fruit/veggie juices. Often an over looked source of water, yet the water content in a lot of fruits and vegetable is naturally high. If you incorporate these into your daily cuisine, then there is less need to rely on water.
- Get a really good, reliable filter for your tap water. There are a lot of choices out there – something definitely to explore. Look out for my next article, where I examine the differences between jug carbon filters, reverse osmosis filters and solid carbon block filters.
- The best choice of all: collect it yourself from a local spring. This is the most sustainable and healthy option that I know of and is well worth the extra effort to go collect it. Ideally, you’ll find a spring that is clean and relatively free from pollution – or just do the best you can. If in doubt you could always pass your collected water through a solid block carbon filter when you get home. There is a growing movement of discerning people, seeking to find their own source of healthy spring water.
Visit www.findaspring.com or check out this video for more information:
So, it’s not an easy choice at all, although I am sure you’ll agree that becoming informed and making the best choices within what we have available is an excellent place to start. I can’t help but feel that there is so much more to explore when it comes to making a conscious choice about drinking water. Keep unraveling and exploring and please do share if you gather any new insight on the subject.
Soul to Soul,
Updated October 2014
More articles by Trinity Bourne:
- Recipe – Vegan Banana & Chocolate Cupcakes (Wheat-Free & Delicious)
- Trusting the Divine Through Uncertain Times
- All About Avocados – Health Benefits, Tips and Recipes
- Summer Kale Salad with Hemp & Parsley Dressing Recipe
- Foraging Guide – with 12 Nutritious Wild Plants That Anyone Can Find
- Keeping Slugs & Snails Off Your Veggies – Compassionately
- The Benefits of Lemon Balm – a Must in Any Garden
- You Are Enough, Exactly As You Are
- The Spirit of the Dolphin
- The Spirituality of Space Clearing: 5 Effective Ways to Clear Stagnant Energy
- Being an Empath
- What is Success? A Spiritual Perspective
- Make Your Own ‘Loved Up’ Raw Chocolate Brownies (Vegan & Gluten Free!)
- Embracing Spiritual Abundance
- Ethical Conscious Clothing – Ending Modern Day Slavery
- Chocolate Paradise Coconut Bar Recipe – Vegan, Raw, Absolutely Delicious!
- Rosemary’s Amazing Health Benefits
About the author:
Around 18 years ago, during a profound spiritual awakening, the world around her shattered. She became engulfed in a white, universal, timeless, formless light until nothing else existed – other than the nameless truth at the core of all sentient beings. During this life-changing experience Trinity experienced the soul of all other sentient beings, trees, creatures, people as one pulsating energy. Transcending her into a higher realm of unity and oneness, this experience imparted a divine energy that she has been sharing through spiritual work ever since. She has integrated a wide variety of multidimensional gifts, and works hand in hand with the Angelic Realms, guided by a deep compassion for the Earth and environment.
Understanding that the energy of our food directly impacts sentient life on all levels, Trinity founded Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen, a website devoted to inspiring the soul through conscious vegan cuisine. She is the co-founder of the Openhand Foundation, an organisation dedicated to the evolution of humankind. She works as the divine complement to her soul mate Open (Chris) to help facilitate the global Ascension process and feels incredibly blessed to be of divine service.