By Sayer Ji
Contributing Writer for Wake Up World
Ever since the World Health Organization admitted in 2011 that cell phone radiation is “possibly carcinogenic“, and may be contributing to the global uptick in brain cancer cases, it’s far harder to label someone a hypochondriac for being concerned about the long-term health consequences of exposure.[i]
In fact, one study cited in their report showed a 40% increased risk for gliomas in the highest category of heavy users (reported average: 30 minutes per day over a 10-year period) – not exactly a small effect.
Now, a study published in the journal Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology confirms that the microwave radiation given off by mobile phones is capable of transforming normal cells into cancerous ones.
Titled “Cellular Neoplastic Transformation Induced by 916 MHz Microwave Radiation“, researchers exposed fibroblast cells, a connective tissue-producing type of cell, to 916 MHz electromagnetic frequencies (which have already been shown to alter brain biomolecules), and found that after 5-8 weeks exposure they changed their form and rate of proliferation to a cancerous phenotype. These cells were also found to be tumor-forming when transplanted into mice.
What You Can Do To Protect Yourself
Realistically, most people reading this article will not be decommissioning their iPhones or Androids any time soon. These devices enable us to stay closely connected to our loved ones, as well as to connect to the global brain which is the internet. But what this research does implore us to do is to exercise caution.
Here are a few steps to take to reduce exposure:
- Wear a headset or earphones to keep the device as far away from your head and/or other vital organs as possible.
- Turn the device off whenever it is not being used.
If you are a heavy user, consider incorporating one of the following proven cell-phone radiation mitigating substances:
- Bee Propolis – A compound found within bee propolis, which is like the mortar the bees use to repair and maintain the structural integrity of their hive, known as caffeic acid phenethyl ester (CAPE), has been experimentally tested to protect the kidneys, hearts and retinas of cell-phone exposed mice. Our bee propolis research page actually lists 12 studies on its radioprotective properties, including protecting against diagnostic and/or “therapeutic” (e.g. radiotherapy) gamma-radiation.
- Melatonin – Melatonin is released during deep, restful sleep – which is always the best way to obtain this natural protective secretion. Melatonin has been studied for its ability to protect against cell-phone induced retinal and kidney damage. Like propolis, melatonin has also been shown to have powerful radioprotective properties against gamma-radiation induced oxidative stress and tissue injury.
- EGCG (green tea polyphenol) – Green tea contains a potent antioxidant known as EGCG (epigallocatechin-gallate) and which has been shown to protect the liver against mobile-phone induced radiation damage.
- Ginkgo Biloba – This plant never ceases to amaze. Not only is Ginkgo Biloba the oldest living plant (a “living fossil”) known to man, but it seems to provide a broad range of benefits to brain and cognitive health. It has been experimentally confirmed to prevent mobile-phone induced oxidative stress in the rat brain.
- N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) – the the precursor to glutathione, N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC) a powerful cell-protective antioxidant that your body produces, given it has adequate cofactors available. It has been shown to protect the liver against mobile-phone induced damage.
For additional tips, read contributing writer, Susan Calabro’s nifty article titled “4-Acupuncture-Inspired Ways to Stop Neurotic Phone Checking“
For those interested in learning more about the plausible mechanism through which cell phones cause brain cancer, listen to Dr. Chris Busby’s explanation:
Chris Busby on How Mobile Phones Cause Cancer
References:[i] IARC Classifies Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Fields As Possibly Carcinogenic To Humans. WHO, May 31, 2011
Further articles by Sayer Ji:
- Lime Juice Could Save 100’s of Thousands of Lives Each Year
- A Higher Level of Freedom – The Benefit of Cannabis to Health
- Eating Wheat & Cow’s Milk Disrupt DNA Expression & Antioxidant Status
- How WHOLE Turmeric Heals the Damaged Brain
- Fluoridated Water Can Calcify Arteries, Study Finds
- How Monsanto’s ‘RoundUp’ is Cursing the Global Food Supply
- Research Proving Vitamin C’s Therapeutic Value in 200+ Diseases
- Sesame Seeds – Ten Amazing Health Benefits Of This Super-Seed
- Biophotons: The Human Body Emits, Communicates with, and is Made from Light
- 13 Evidence-Based Medicinal Properties of Coconut Oil
- The Spice That Prevents Fluoride From Destroying Your Brain
- Turmeric Beats Ibuprofen for Arthritis of the Knee
About the author:
Sayer Ji is an author, educator, Steering Committee Member of the Global GMO-Free Coalition (GGFC), advisory board member of the National Health Federation, and the founder of GreenMedInfo.com – an open access, evidence-based resource supporting natural and integrative modalities. His writings have been published and referenced widely in print and online, including Truthout, Mercola.com, The Journal of Gluten Sensitivity, New York Times and The Well Being Journal.
In 1995 Sayer received a BA degree in Philosophy from Rutgers University, where he studied under the American philosopher Dr. Bruce W. Wilshire, with a focus on the philosophy of science. In 1996, following residency at the Zen Mountain Monastery in upstate New York, he embarked on a 5 year journey of service as a counsellor-teacher and wilderness therapy specialist for various organizations that serve underprivileged and/or adjudicated populations. Since 2003, Sayer has served as a patient advocate and an educator and consultant for the natural health and wellness field.