Contributing Writer for Wake Up World
On Christmas day a few years back, we all wanted some kind of ‘nut roast’ type thing to enjoy with vegetables, roast potatoes and gravy. I rose to the challenge, feeling inspired to use sunflower seeds, rather than nuts. We were thrilled with the appetizing result.
This seed and carrot roast loaf is surprisingly light and easy to digest. It serves delightfully with my mushroom gravy recipe and roast veggies.
In addition to offering you the recipe, I’ve also created a tuition video so we can go through it step by step, to make sure you come out with a perfect loaf!
From my heart to yours. Enjoy!
Seed & Carrot Roast Loaf Recipe
Preparation: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
• Carrots 3 large sized (or 400g approx)
• 150g ground sunflower seeds (1 cup)
• 150g ground pumpkin seeds (1 cup)
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 heaped tablespoon fresh rosemary
• 1 heaped tablespoon fresh parsley (or 1 heaped teaspoon dried)
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Chop the (unpeeled, but scrubbed) carrots into small pieces. Boil or steam until soft. Drain and then mash.
2. Grind seeds in a nut mill to make seed meal.
3. Crush garlic and finely chop rosemary and parsley.
4. Mix seed meal, carrots and all other ingredients together.
5. Firmly press mixture into a loaf tin (lined with parchment paper). A 1kg loaf tin works well (approx 20x10x6cm). Make sure that you press really firmly to encourage the binding process – if you are too timid, it tends to fall apart. If you get it just right, then it magically forms into a perfectly sliceable loaf.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at gas mark 6 (200ËšC/400ËšF) for approximately 45 minutes.
7. Gently lift from the loaf tin by pulling out the loaf along with the parchment paper. Turn over onto a bread board and slice with a bread knife.
Video: Step by Step
Grinding the seeds works best with a seed/nut/coffee grinder, although you can use a blender to roughly chop the seeds instead. If you roughly chop the seeds, then add a heaped tablespoon of spelt flour to the mixture to encourage the binding process. The other alternative is to use a pestle and mortar.
If you have neither a grinder nor a blender, you can substitute the ground seeds for pre-ground nuts or seeds.
For more healthy festive treats, check out:
- Trinity’s Fruit n’ Nut Christmas Truffles Recipe (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Trinity’s Chocolate Paradise Coconut Bar Recipe (Vegan, Raw, Absolutely Delicious!)
More articles by Trinity Bourne:
- Trinity’s Carob and Coconut Cake Recipe (Gluten Free, Sugar Free & Vegan)
- Top Tips for Making Deliciously Healthy Salads
- No-Bake Carrot Cake Recipe (Gluten Free & Vegan)
- The Health Benefits of Beetroot – Recipes Included
- Chickpea & Mushroom Burger Recipe (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Global Animal Industries – the Ghosts in Our Machine
- All About Avocados – Health Benefits, Tips and Recipes
- Foraging Guide – with 12 Nutritious Wild Plants That Anyone Can Find
- Keeping Slugs & Snails Off Your Veggies – Compassionately
- The Benefits of Lemon Balm – a Must in Any Garden
- Rosemary’s Amazing Health Benefits
- The Superfood Health Benefits of Celery (with Recipes!)
About the author:
Around 18 years ago, during a profound spiritual awakening, the world around her shattered. She became engulfed in a white, universal, timeless, formless light until nothing else existed – other than the nameless truth at the core of all sentient beings. During this life-changing experience Trinity experienced the soul of all other sentient beings, trees, creatures, people as one pulsating energy. Transcending her into a higher realm of unity and oneness, this experience imparted a divine energy that she has been sharing through spiritual work ever since.
Understanding that the energy of our food directly impacts sentient life on all levels, Trinity founded Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen, a website devoted to inspiring the soul through conscious vegan cuisine. She is the co-founder of the Openhand Foundation, an organisation dedicated to the evolution of humankind. She works as the divine complement to her soul mate Open to help facilitate the global ascension process and feels incredibly blessed to be of divine service.