14th February 2012
It’s time to Dump The Big Six – UK
Against a backdrop of widespread anger with Big Power in the UK, Ecotricity has launched its “Dump The Big Six” rallying call to ditch your badly behaved supplier and make Britain greener.
The Big Six (British Gas, EDF Energy, E.ON, Npower, Scottish & Southern, Scottish Power) have long enjoyed a carbon-fuelled chokehold the UK’s energy, supplying 99% of customers. But is their grip crumbling?
Ecotricity founder Dale Vince OBE, the man credited with kick-starting the world’s green electricity market, believes now is the moment to topple the grey giants and bring the UK into the renewable energy future.
Dirty Power vs Clean Energy
It’s been a winter of discontent for Big Power. Huge numbers of households are deserting: British Gas alone lost 200, 000 customers in the last quarter. The Big Six are disgracing headlines left, right and centre. Even the energy secretary accused them of malpractice.
- A third of Brits have seen no benefit from the recent ‘price war’ on energy
- The Big Six were hammered with over four million complaints in 2011
- Which.com found that 80% of households aren’t on the best value tariff
- Big Six investment in new sources of renewable energy runs as low as £5 a year per customer
In this era of big business, Ecotricity shows when it comes to ethics & customer service, David can beat Goliath.
- Ecotricity is the UK’s foremost renewable energy company
- Ecotricity invest more of your bill in new sources of renewables than any other power supplier
- 88% of Ecotricity’s customers rate their service as ‘excellent or good’
- Your TV stays on when the sun isn’t shining and the wind isn’t blowing
About The Campaign
Beginning with a super-cute viral film and Facebook app “Dump The Big Six” aims to reach a huge audience.
Viral Film: Over 1.3 Million views since 7th February 2012
It’s an amusing approach to solve a serious problem:
Half of Britons feel the source of future energy supplies is one of the most important environmental issues facing the nation yet less than 1% currently use a green energy supplier (Ofgem, October 2011).
Over 60% of UK households could switch to Ecotricity and get greener energy for not one penny more than they are currently paying.
We wanted to show how easy it is to make the break – and to let your friends know.
The collapsing cooling tower imagery was inspired by web artist Herman Bailey’s “Sad Chimney” gif: http://b3ta.com/board/10424732. Herman is credited as part of the creative team behind the campaign.
Find out more at:
- Contact stuart.brennan (at) ecotricity.co.uk