By Sayer Ji
Contributing writer for Wake Up World
Few beverages on this planet are as bio-compatible to the human body and its hydration needs as coconut water. Indeed, coconut water has been reported to have been used for intravenous hydration and resuscitation of critically ill patients in remote regions of the world for over half a century.  It is also an excellent preserving medium for avulsed teeth (and semen!), besting even Hank’s balanced salt solution, a commonly used medical solution. 
While some are concerned about the sugar content of this slightly sweet beverage, recent research shows it actually exhibits blood sugar lowering properties in an experimental model of diabetes.  Additional animal research shows coconut water prevents and reverses high blood pressure associated with fructose feeding-induced hypertension, as well being able to reduce oxidative stress and insulin resistance.  Perhaps one of the most amazing properties of coconut water is its superior lipid modulating activity in the animal model, offering potent cholesterol-lowering alternatives to statin drugs such as Lovastatin. 
This means we can, in clear conscience, modify Hippocrates’ famous saying to read: “Let What You Drink Be Your Medicine.”
Other medicinal properties of coconut water include:
- Anti-Ulcer Properties: Both coconut milk and coconut water exhibit potent anti-ulcer activity against chemicals such as indomethacin, a Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID).
- Blood-Pressuring Lowering Properties: When human subjects consumed coconut water for two weeks, it was found to lower blood pressure in 74% of the experimental group, reducing it by up to 24 points (mmHg) systolic and 15 points (mmHq) diastolic.
- Anti-Alzheimer’s Properties: in an animal model of ovariectomy-induced menopausal changes, coconut water appeared to prevent the decline of brain estrogen (estradiol) levels, as well as the associated accumulation of Alzheimer’s disease associated Î²-amyloid (AÎ²) plaque in their brains.
- Anti-Bacterial Properties: Three novel antimicrobial peptides have been identified in coconut water which exhibited inhibitory activity against both Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria.
- Anti-Gastroenteritis Agent: When sodium is added (ideally sea salt) coconut water has been determined to be an ideal rehydrating agent in countries where medical supplies are not freely available, and where, say, cholera and other severe forms of gastroenteritis persist.
Ultimately, coconut makes for an excellent alternative to sports drinks, which are increasingly comprised of synthetic ingredients. Also, coconut water is filtered by Nature through an intensive purification process — far safer than municipal systems which leave up to 600 toxic disinfectant by products behind. I’m nuts for the stuff (so much so that I will use a bad pun like this), how about you?
For more, check out Wake Up World’s coconut research page.
-  The intravenous use of coconut water. Am J Emerg Med. 2000 Jan;18(1):108-11. PMID: 10674546
-  Comparison of coconut water, propolis, HBSS, and milk on PDL cell survival. J Endod. 2008 May;34(5):587-9. Epub 2008 Mar 19. PMID: 18436040
-  Hypoglycemic and antioxidant potential of coconut water in experimental diabetes. Food Funct. 2012 May 11. Epub 2012 May 11. PMID: 22576019
-  Therapeutic effects of tender coconut water on oxidative stress in fructose fed insulin resistant hypertensive rats. act Source: Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2012 Apr ;5(4):270-6. PMID: 22449517
-  Comparative evaluation of the hypolipidemic effects of coconut water and lovastatin in rats fed fat-cholesterol enriched diet. Food Chem Toxicol.2008 Dec;46(12):3586-92. Epub 2008 Sep 3 PMID: 18809454
About the author:
Sayer Ji is the founder of GreenMedInfo.com, the world’s leading open access, evidence-based resource supporting natural and integrative health modalities. He is Vice Chairman of the Board for the National Health Federation and Fearless Parent, a Steering Committee Member of the Global GMO-Free Coalition (GGFC), and a reviewer at the International Journal of Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine.
Recommended articles by Sayer Ji:
- Black Seed Oil Puts Deadly Asthma Medications to Shame
- Participating in Drum Circles Improves Health and Quality of Life in Parkinson’s Patients (Study)
- Acupuncture Beats Injected Morphine for Pain: Groundbreaking Study
- Mammography Is Harmful and Should Be Abandoned, Scientific Review Concludes
- “Killer Germs” Obliterated by Medicinal Smoke Smudging, Study Reveals
- 6 Evidence-Based Ways Drumming Heals Body, Mind and Soul
- Coconut Water: A New Alzheimer’s Disease Treatment?
- Turmeric’s ‘Smart Kill’ Properties Put Chemo & Radiation To Shame
- Tylenol Kills Emotions As Well As Pain, Study Reveals
- Beet Juice Boosts Cognitive Function In One Dose
- 13 Evidence-Based Medicinal Properties of Coconut Oil
- Group Drumming Better Than Prozac, Study Suggests
- 25 Cancer Stem-Cell Killing Foods That Are Smarter Than Chemo and Radiation
- Splenda Suppresses Thyroid Function, Promotes Weight Gain