By Sayer Ji
Contributing Writer for Wake Up World
There is a medicinal spice so timelessly interwoven with the origins of human culture and metabolism, so thoroughly supported by modern scientific inquiry, as to be unparalleled in its proven value to human health and well-being.
Indeed, turmeric turns the entire drug-based medical model on its head. Instead of causing far more side effects than therapeutic ones, as is the case for most patented pharmaceutical medications, turmeric possesses hundreds of potential side benefits, having been empirically demonstrated to positively modulate over 160 different physiological pathways in the mammalian body.
While no food or herb is right for everyone, and everything has the potential for unintended, adverse side effects, turmeric is truly unique in its exceptionally high margin of safety vis-à -vis the drugs it has been compared with, e.g. hydrocortisone, ibuprofen, chemotherapy agents. Furthermore, nothing within the modern-day pharmaceutical armamentarium comes even remotely close to turmeric’s 6,000 year track record of safe use in Ayurvedic medicine.
Despite its vast potential for alleviating human suffering, turmeric will likely never receive the FDA stamp of approval, due to its lack of exclusivity, patentability and therefore profitability.
Truth be told, the FDA’s “gold standard” for proving the value of a prospective medicinal substance betrays the age old aphorism: “he who owns the gold makes the rules,” and unless an investor is willing to risk losing the 800+ million dollars that must be spent upfront, the FDA-required multi-phased double-blind, randomized clinical trials will not occur.
For additional details on this rather seedy arrangement, read my previous article on the topic: Why The Law Forbids The Medicinal Use of Natural Substances.
At GreenMedInfo.com, we have reviewed over 5,000 study abstracts from the National Library of Medicine’s bibliographic database known as MEDLINE and have discovered over 600 potential health benefits of turmeric, and/or its primary polyphenol known as curcumin. These can be viewed on GreenMedInfo’s turmeric research page which is dedicated to disseminating the research on the topic to a larger audience.
Some of the most amazing demonstrated properties include:
- Destroying Multi-Drug Resistant Cancer
- Destroying Cancer Stem Cells (arguably, the root of all cancer)
- Protecting Against Radiation-Induced Damage
- Reducing Unhealthy Levels of Inflammation
- Protecting Against Heavy Metal Toxicity
- Preventing and Reversing Alzheimer’s Disease Associated Pathologies
Again, what is so amazing is not that turmeric may have value in dozens of health conditions simultaneously, or that it may improve conditions that are completely resistant to conventional treatment, but that there are over six hundred additional health conditions it may also be valuable in preventing and/or treating. Consider also the fact that turmeric grows freely on the Earth, and you will understand why its very existence threatens billions of dollars in pharmaceutical industry revenue.
Learn more about this research in the video below – keeping in mind that it is several years old and needing some updating – and please spread the information to others who may benefit from learning more on the topic.
 The Genus Curcuma (Medicinal and Aromatic Plants – Industrial Profiles); CRC; March 2007
Further articles by Sayer Ji
- 10 Natural Substances That Could Help Cure Type 1 Diabetes
- Natural Compound Prevents Breast Cancer Gene (BRCA1) Malignancy
- Science Confirms Turmeric As Effective As 14 Pharmaceutical Drugs
- USDA Organic Infant Formula Contains Pesticide Labeled As A “Nutrient”
- Glyphosate (Roundup) Carcinogenic In the PARTS PER TRILLION Range
- Chemical Deception: Multiple Forms of Hormone-Disrupting Bisphenol in U.S. Food Supply
- How to Clean Your Arteries With One Simple Fruit
- 7 Ways to Prevent and Even Reverse Heart Disease with Nutrition
- Is This Fruit Extract 10,000 Times Better Than Chemotherapy?
- 13 Evidence-Based Medicinal Properties of Coconut Oil
About the author:
Sayer Ji is the founder and director of www.GreenMedInfo.com and an advisory board member at the National Health Federation, an international nonprofit, consumer-education, health-freedom organization.
He co-authored the book Cancer Killers: The Cause Is The Cure, and is currently co-authoring another book with Tania Melkonian entitled EATomology: An Edible Philosophy of Food.
Check out Sayer Ji’s new collaborative project EATomology.