Guest Writer for Wake Up World
Burdock Root is know in Japan as gobo and is used in stir fries, kimchi and sushi. When i first discovered Burdock Root was at the same time I first was interested in eating Sushi, about 20 years ago. I would order small plates of these carrot looking sticks that were in my sushi rolls. I loved the crunchiness and taste. My body craved gobo. I began wondering why my body was intuitively craving gobo and then I looked up; what is gobo?
That is when I discovered gobo was called Burdock Root. I started researching the benefits and soon understood why I was obsessed. However, sushi restaurants began not using gobo, so I was on a mission to learn to make it myself. I came up with a Burdock Root Pickle Recipe with Master Tonic.
Benefits of Burdock Root
- Strengthens the immune system
- Liver cleanser
- Lymph detoxifier
- Encourages healthy digestion
- Supports healthy skin
- Purifies the blood
- Stimulates the kidneys allowing urine to flow
- Powerful antioxidant
- Stops growth and population of cancer cells
- Reduces inflammation
- Eases sore throat and tonsilitis
Using Burdock Root
Burdock Root is extremely nutritious and including it in your diet adds so many benefits to the health of the body. There are many ways to incorporate burdock root in your diet. You can use burdock. root in a tincture or essential oil or take crushed burdock root in capsules. You can make burdock root tea. It can be added to stir fries or sauteed. Some studies have found that fermented burdock root is the most healthy option. My favorite way to consume burdock root is Burdock Root Pickles. I have created my own recipe using the Master Tonic. . The benefits of the Master Tonic and Burdock Root combined makes these pickles an immune boosting superfood among many other nutritious benefits.
Recipe for Burdock Root Pickles with Master Tonic
- Burdock Root
- Master Tonic
- Aminos or Tamari
- Wash and Scrub burdock root. You can peel them but you lose some of the flavor and the skin always has extra nutrients.
- Cut the Burdock Root into about 2 inch long sticks.
- Add about an inch of water to a pan. Place sliced burdock root in a steamer basket. Cover and steam for 5 minutes. You will want them to be crisp still.
- Fill a pint-sized jar with the burdock slices, 3/4 with Master Tonic and a couple Tablespoons of Aminos or Tamari.
- Fill the rest with the cooing water.
- Place a tight fitting lid and refrigerator. They get tastier every day!
Making Burdock Root Pickles is super simple to make and only takes a few minutes. I always have a jar in my refrigerator for a quick snack. I also cut them up and add them to salads or to ramen. Let me know if you make them and what you think in the comments below. Enjoy!!
Cheers to your health!