Guest writer for Wake Up World
Have you ever spoken to a person who just seems to “vibe” or “click” with you? That person was probably a kindred spirit.
Befriending or serendipitously meeting a kindred spirit is one of those moments in life that we often cherish until our dying day.
If you’re wanting to find out whether you’ve met a kindred spirit – or learn about the signs to look out for – keep reading!
What is a Kindred Spirit?
Kindred spirits are typically people who share the same values, dreams, worldviews, and personalities as us.
A kindred spirit could arise in any form: a sudden meeting with a stranger, a close friend, a confidant, a family member, a teacher, a lover, a pet, or even a landform (also called a ‘soul place’).
As everything in life is composed of energy, we often feel attracted to some people and repelled by others. Kindred spirits are individuals that resonate at the same level or frequency as us, and so we often feel ‘magnetically’ drawn to them.
The Role Kindred Spirits Play in Our Lives
Kindred spirits are like quiet supporters that can offer us moments of understanding, insight, and delight on the winding road of our life paths.
While kindred spirits don’t often play very “earth-shattering” roles in our spiritual growth and spiritual awakening (although they sometimes can!), they help to comfort and support us in times of need.
Often kindred spirits share the same personality types as us, as well as similar tastes, interests, and passions. While not all kindred spirit connections are necessarily deep and soulful, some can be (these can be thought of as “soul friend” connections).
Are Kindred Spirits Soulmates?
Yes, it is absolutely possible for kindred spirits to be soulmates! In the realm of love and connection, it’s not always easy to make crystal clear distinctions.
Some kindred spirits will connect with us on an ego level, while others will connect with us on a soul level. Those who connect with us on a soul level are also known as soulmates or soul friends.
9 Magical Signs You’ve Met a Kindred Spirit
Why ‘magical’ signs? Well, meeting a kindred spirit often feels like a wondrous moment of destiny in which we find a person who provides us the exact life/spiritual guidance, insight, or support we need. If that’s not magical, I don’t know what is!
1. Uncanny similarities
Strangely, you both share a high level of correlating mindsets, experiences, and values – way higher than the average person. For instance, you might have the same personality type, quirks, sense of humor, wounds, dreams for the future, values, goals, upbringings, interests … and the list goes on!
2. It feels like you’ve known this person forever
Sometimes, two people can live together for decades and yet still feel like strangers to each other. A kindred spirit, on the other hand, is the exact opposite: they are so easy to get along with that it feels as though you’ve known this person forever, even if you’ve only just met!
3. You leave the conversation feeling better about life
You know those situations where you walk away from someone feeling heavy and exhausted? Well, kindred spirits create the opposite effect: they make you feel seen, heard, and validated. You walk away from them feeling light, breezy, and more optimistic about life in general!
4. They have a freaky way of offering you the exact advice you need
Instead of dishing out irrelevant (or awful) advice, kindred spirits know how to ‘read you’ and your needs. You’ll find them offering some of the best advice you’ve ever received in the most unexpected moments.
5. You don’t feel the need to pretend or play games with each other
Your connection is very straight-forward, honest-to-god, and down-to-earth simple. There’s no beating around the bush, engaging in power struggles, or other shenanigans with your kindred spirit. You feel comfortable enough to “tell it like it is” without fear of repercussion.
6. They see you for who you truly are
Kindred spirits seem to have the unique ability to see beneath the layers of your ego into your very heart. Because you are both so similar in many ways, a kindred spirit will notice when you’re not being genuine. And with a twinkle in their eyes, they’ll smile and say something so blunt and disarming that you’ll laugh awkwardly and abandon whatever egotistical nonsense you were about to engage in.
7. Your worldview expands
Although our kindred spirits are very similar to us, they’re not our “identical twins.” In fact, their differences in perspective help us to see ourselves and our lives in a different light, expanding our worldviews. While you could say that there are “toxic kindred spirits” who bond over perpetuating the same limited and bigoted worldviews, healthy kindred spirits make us think and question, inspiring us to learn, grow, and evolve.
8. In a big world, they provide you with crucial support
While everyone may be flocking to the idea of finding a soulmate, kindred spirits shouldn’t be overlooked or taken for granted. To have a kindred spirit in one’s life is to have a true friend, one who is there when times get tough and also when times are good. We all need a support system, and kindred spirits are the “meat and bones” that help us to find a sense of groundedness in life.
9. They help you regain trust and heal wounds
Having a kindred spirit in your life is a tremendous blessing. Not only do they help you to regain trust in others thanks to the healing power of being seen and heard, but they also help you to undergo a form of healing. This healing may come in a subtle way (like learning that it’s okay to speak your mind) or in a big way (such as learning to follow your dreams). Hooray for kindred spirits!
How to Meet Your Kindred Spirit
There are many ways to meet your kindred spirit – and keep in mind that you can have many kindred spirits during the course of your lifetime!
If you’d like to increase the chances of having a ‘happy synchronicity,’ consider the following piece of advice:
- Discover what brings you joy. In other words, what are you passionate about? What do you like doing? Learning about what excites you will help you to find a little niche that can increase the chances of finding a kindred spirit. For example, if you just adore crocheting, you might like to join a crochet class, and there you might meet a fellow kindred spirit!
- Get clear on what you value and want out of life – and take a social media break! When you’re too busy listening to everyone else and the running commentary of their lives, it can be difficult to tune into what you really want and need. So my advice is to take a holiday from social media (like Facebook, Instagram, etc.) and do a little soul searching. When you discover your needs and values, it’s much easier to ‘magnetize’ others who want and need the same things as you. Kindred spirits don’t bond over talk about the weather, they bond over shared worldviews and goals.
- New situations, new opportunities. I know this is pretty straightforward, but honestly, the more you introduce a little adventure into your life, the more likely you are to be exposed to new people. New people = higher chances of meeting a kindred spirit who can enrich your life.
- Wild-and-messy-prayer. I’m not a big fan of the LOA/law of attraction (or what I have called ‘Lust, Obsession, Addiction’). But I do recommend praying to whatever higher power you believe in or think might exist to request that a kindred spirit enter your life. Do you need to be religious to pray? Absolutely not. (I wrote this article on the power of prayer to highlight that fact.) Prayer helps to make us receptive and humbles the megalomania of the ego. So if meeting a kindred spirit is an intense need of yours, I highly recommend praying to Spirit, Source, Divine, whatever you’d like to call it, for that extra bit of help. Don’t feel the need to make your prayers neat or pious (but remember that being grateful goes a long way) – that’s why I’ve called this point “wild-and-messy-prayer”: it comes from the heart and soul!
If you have any other recommendations, please do share them in the comments!
To end, I’ll leave you with a few of my favorite kindred spirit quotes which highlight how meaningful these relationships can be in our lives:
It is an absolute human certainty that no one can know his own beauty or perceive a sense of his own worth until it has been reflected back to him in the mirror of another loving, caring human being.
? John Joseph Powell
Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It’s splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.
– Lucy Maud Montgomery
It’s funny how complete strangers can have familiar souls.
– J. Iron Ward
To discover a kindred spirit is to find your heart in the heart of a friend.
– Ann Parrish
What is your experience with finding and meeting kindred spirits? Have you learned any huge, life-changing lessons in their presence? I’d love to hear your experiences below!
About the author:
Aletheia Luna is a prolific psychospiritual writer, author, and spiritual mentor whose work has touched the lives of millions worldwide. As a survivor of fundamentalist religious abuse, her mission is to help others find love, strength, and inner light in even the darkest places. She is the author of hundreds of popular articles, as well as numerous books and journals on the topics of Self-Love, Spiritual Awakening, and more. See more of her work at lonerwolf.com.
This article, Kindred Spirit: 9 Magical Signs You’ve Found One, was originally published on lonerwolf.com, reproduced with permission.