By Nikki Harper
Staff Writer for Wake Up World
Mercury Retrograde is a period of time when the planet Mercury appears to be moving backward from our perspective on Earth. This phenomenon happens three to four times a year, for a period of approximately three weeks each time.
In astrology, Mercury is the planet that rules communication, technology, transportation, and commerce. When Mercury is in retrograde, the energies associated with these areas of our lives can become distorted or disrupted, leading to misunderstandings, miscommunications, technical glitches, and delays in travel plans.
Mercury will turn retrograde on Friday April 21st, and will remain retrograde until Sunday May 14th. Because Mercury is currently in Taurus, a sign that greatly values stability and security, the effects of this retrograde period may feel more jarring than normal.
Many people view Mercury Retrograde as a time to dread or fear, but others see it as an opportunity for reflection, revision, and growth. By understanding the energies at play during this time, and taking proactive steps to navigate them, you can minimize the potential for disruptions and maximize the potential for positive change.
But what exactly causes Mercury Retrograde? From our perspective on Earth, the planets appear to move in their orbits around the Sun. However, because of the way the planets move relative to each other, there are times when a planet appears to be moving backward from our perspective. This is called retrograde motion. Mercury, being the planet closest to the Sun, has the shortest orbit and is therefore in retrograde motion more often than the other planets.
During Mercury Retrograde, it’s common to experience communication breakdowns, technology mishaps, and travel delays. You may find that your phone or computer crashes more often than usual, emails get lost or misdirected, and transportation plans get delayed or canceled. You may also experience misunderstandings or miscommunications with friends, family, or colleagues. Mercury Retrograde can make it more difficult to express yourself clearly, and can create confusion or misunderstandings in your communication.
However, while Mercury Retrograde can be a challenging time, it can also be an opportunity for personal growth and reflection. The retrograde motion of Mercury can invite us to revisit past projects or relationships, and to reconsider our beliefs and assumptions. It’s a time to slow down and reflect on our lives, rather than rushing ahead with new projects or initiatives.
Practical Strategies for Navigating Mercury Retrograde
Here are some practical strategies for navigating Mercury Retrograde with greater ease, grace, and personal growth:
- Be mindful of communication: During Mercury Retrograde, misunderstandings and miscommunications are more likely to occur. Take extra care to communicate clearly and avoid assumptions or shortcuts. Double-check emails, texts, and important documents before sending them, and try to avoid signing contracts or making important agreements during this time if possible.
- Back up your technology: With the potential for glitches and malfunctions during Mercury Retrograde, it’s a good idea to back up your important data and files. Save your work frequently, and consider using cloud-based storage or an external hard drive for added security.
- Revisit past projects: Mercury Retrograde is a time for revising and reviewing, rather than starting new projects. Use this time to reflect on past endeavors and consider how you can improve or refine them. You may also find that unfinished projects or loose ends from the past resurface, providing an opportunity for closure or completion.
- Take care with travel plans: Travel plans can be disrupted or delayed during Mercury Retrograde. Allow extra time for travel, double-check your itinerary, and consider purchasing travel insurance in case of unexpected changes or cancellations.
- Practice self-reflection: Mercury Retrograde can be a time for introspection and personal growth. Take some time to reflect on your beliefs, assumptions, and past experiences. Consider journaling, meditating, or engaging in other reflective practices to deepen your self-awareness and understanding.
- Stay flexible and adaptable: With the potential for unexpected changes and disruptions during Mercury Retrograde, it’s important to stay flexible and adaptable. Be prepared to pivot or adjust your plans as needed, and avoid getting too attached to specific outcomes or expectations.
- Embrace the slower pace: Mercury Retrograde is a time to slow down and reflect, rather than rushing ahead with new projects or initiatives. Embrace the slower pace and take the opportunity to rest, recharge, and rejuvenate.
In addition to these practical strategies, there are also certain crystals, essential oils, and other tools that can be helpful for navigating Mercury Retrograde. For example, black tourmaline is a grounding and protective crystal that can help to ward off negative energy and protect against technological malfunctions. Lavender essential oil is calming and soothing, and can help to ease stress and anxiety during this potentially turbulent time.
Ultimately, the key to navigating Mercury Retrograde with greater ease, grace, and personal growth is to approach it with a mindset of openness, curiosity, and self-awareness. By staying mindful and present, and embracing the opportunities for reflection and revision that this time provides, you can emerge from Mercury Retrograde stronger, wiser, and more aligned with your true self.
Whether you’re a seasoned astrology enthusiast or a newcomer to the world of retrograde motion, these practical strategies and tools can help you traverse the tricky waters of communication, technology, and personal growth with confidence and clarity.
About the author:
Nikki Harper is a spiritualist writer, astrologer, and editor for Wake Up World. She writes about divination, astrology, mediumship and spirituality at Questionology: Astrology and Divination For the Modern World where you can also find out more about her work as a freelance astrologer and her mind-body-spirit writing and editing services. Nikki also runs a spiritualist centre in North Lincs, UK, hosting weekly mediumship demonstrations and a wide range of spiritual development courses and workshops.