Guest Writer for Wake Up World
Olive oil has received well-deserved attention over the last 10-15 years. This is the main ingredient that plays an important role in the Mediterranean diet. For years, studies have shown people who consume this type of diet live longer and enjoy a better quality of life.
Olive oil is a fantastic ingredient that can be added to your salads and roasted vegetables. But olive oil is a lot more than just a health food. Aside from consuming olive oil to receive its benefits, you can use it in other ways and reap similar, if not greater, rewards. It can be used for soothing skin, managing hair, and as a natural sunscreen.
Here are 8 amazing benefits of olive oil, many of which may surprise you.
8 Health Benefits of Olive Oil
1. Heart Health
Olive oil has nutrients that support the heart and brain, and the Omega-3s in olive oil make blood flow easier. The antioxidants found in the oil protect against aging by reducing damage from free radicals and oxidative stress.  Populations who consume the highest amounts of olive oil enjoy low rates of coronary heart disease.
2. Heals Burns Faster
Olive oil is loaded with vitamins and essential fatty acids involved in speeding the healing of burns.   The Amish are often credited for creating a natural method for reducing burns with olive oil that’s as effective as conventional treatments,  and they’re not alone. The Hatay of middle Turkey use a mixture featuring olive oil to ease the severity of burns.  The olive oil supplies essential nutrients to the injured skin and discourages harmful organisms from infecting the wound.
3. Speeds Wound Healing
Although olive oil aids skin recovery when applied to wounds like burns, eating olive oil or foods featuring olive oil also improves wound healing time.  Regular consumption of olive oil lowers inflammation and heals the body from the inside out.
4. Skin Health
Your skin and hair shine and glow following topical application of natural products like olive oil. It’s used in organic cosmetics, and it works as a topical therapy to alleviate eczema and skin ailments of the lower body.   Olive oil is even recommended as an effective approach for diaper rash and is commonly used to relieve psoriasis. Men and women around the world use it to keep hair vibrant and skin young and healthy.
5. Erase Stretch Marks
If there’s a downside to pregnancy, it’s the stretch marks. In one study, olive oil reduced scarring from severe stretch marks following pregnancy.  The topical as well as the internal use of olive oil may provide this benefit.
6. Aids Recovery in Athletes
Ancient Greek athletes prized olive oil for the way it soothed and protected their skin and relaxed their muscles. It was so revered that Athenian sponsors made it freely available to all participants in their sporting events. The ancient Greeks recognized the therapeutic value of olive oil to reduce muscle fatigue, improve the strength and flexibility of the skin, and prevent sports related injuries. 
7. A Natural Sunscreen
Next time you go to the beach, skip the chemicals and use olive oil for protection from the sun. It’s what people around the world have done for thousands of years. Recent studies support this traditional use as olive oil has a higher SPF than other natural oils. 
8. Promotes Smooth Skin
Rubbing a little olive oil on the skin provides essential vitamins and nutrients, keeping the skin nourished and smooth. This could mean fewer wrinkles. Studies have also found consuming olive oil regularly affects the overall health of the skin, possibly protecting against aging and wrinkles. 
Is Ozonated Olive Oil the Super Olive Oil?
Ozonated olive oil combines the natural healing and nourishing benefits of olive oil and oxygen. It is a powerful natural remedy for a variety of health concerns, and is most commonly used for conditions of the skin and external body, much as you would use a therapeutic salve or cream.
Ozonated olive oil is made with high quality, organic, extra-virgin, cold pressed olive oil that is put through a process of “ozone injection”, which is bubbling ozone into the liquid for an extended period of time.
Study after study shows oxygen cleanses wounds and encourages faster healing.  Researchers have even noted it promotes healthy teeth and gums when taken orally.  This combination of olive oil and oxygen in ozonated olive oil delivers powerful therapeutic healing where it’s needed most.
Do you use olive oil regularly? How has it worked for you? Share your experiences with us below!
— Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, NP, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM
- Owen RW1, Giacosa A, Hull WE, Haubner R, Würtele G, Spiegelhalder B, Bartsch H. Olive-oil consumption and health: the possible role of antioxidants. Lancet Oncol. 2000 Oct;1:107-12.
- Najmi M1, Vahdat Shariatpanahi Z2, Tolouei M3, Amiri Z4. Effect of oral olive oil on healing of 10-20% total body surface area burn wounds in hospitalized patients. Burns. 2014 Oct 8. pii: S0305-4179(14)00279-4. doi: 10.1016/j.burns.2014.08.010.
- Edraki M1, Akbarzadeh A, Hosseinzadeh M, Tanideh N, Salehi A, Koohi-Hosseinabadi O. Healing effect of sea buckthorn, olive oil, and their mixture on full-thickness burn wounds. Adv Skin Wound Care. 2014 Jul;27(7):317-23. doi: 10.1097/01.ASW.0000451061.85540.f9.
- Amish Burn Study Group, Kolacz NM1, Jaroch MT1, Bear ML1, Hess RF2. The effect of Burns & Wounds (B&W)/burdock leaf therapy on burn-injured Amish patients: a pilot study measuring pain levels, infection rates, and healing times. J Holist Nurs. 2014 Dec;32(4):327-40. doi: 10.1177/0898010114525683.
- Sumer Z1, Yildirim G, Sumer H, Yildirim S. Cytotoxic and antibacterial activity of the mixture of olive oil and lime cream in vitro conditions. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2013 May 16;10(4):137-43. eCollection 2013.
- Rosa Ados S1, Bandeira LG, Monte-Alto-Costa A, Romana-Souza B. Supplementation with olive oil, but not fish oil, improves cutaneous wound healing in stressed mice. Wound Repair Regen. 2014 Jul-Aug;22(4):537-47. doi: 10.1111/wrr.12191.
- Baumann L1, Woolery-Lloyd H, Friedman A. “Natural” ingredients in cosmetic dermatology. J Drugs Dermatol. 2009 Jun;8(6 Suppl):s5-9.
- Kränke B1, Komericki P, Aberer W. Olive oil–contact sensitizer or irritant? Dermatitis. 1997 Jan;36(1):5-10.
- Soltanipoor F1, Delaram M, Taavoni S, Haghani H. The effect of olive oil on prevention of striae gravidarum: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Complement Ther Med. 2012 Oct;20(5):263-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ctim.2012.05.001.
- Nomikos NN1, Nomikos GN, Kores DS. The use of deep friction massage with olive oil as a means of prevention and treatment of sports injuries in ancient times. Arch Med Sci. 2010 Oct;6(5):642-5. doi: 10.5114/aoms.2010.17074.
- Kaur CD1, Saraf S. In vitro sun protection factor determination of herbal oils used in cosmetics. Pharmacognosy Res. 2010 Jan;2(1):22-5. doi: 10.4103/0974-8490.60586.
- Purba MB1, Kouris-Blazos A, Wattanapenpaiboon N, Lukito W, Rothenberg EM, Steen BC, Wahlqvist ML. Skin wrinkling: can food make a difference? J Am Coll Nutr. 2001 Feb;20(1):71-80.
- Valacchi G1, Fortino V, Bocci V. The dual action of ozone on the skin. Br J Dermatol. 2005 Dec;153(6):1096-100.
- Patel PV1, Patel A, Kumar S, Holmes JC. Effect of subgingival application of topical ozonated olive oil in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a randomized, controlled, double blind, clinical and microbiological study. Minerva Stomatol. 2012 Sep;61(9):381-98.
Previous articles by Dr. Group:
- The 9 Best Fermented Foods for Your Gut
- 14 Foods that Cleanse the Liver
- How Turmeric Keeps You Looking Young
- 7 Toxins Harming Your Brain Right Now
- Top 5 Foods for the Pineal Gland
- 6 Things You Must Know About Colloidal Silver
- The Importance of a Kidney Cleansing Diet
- The 9 Best Herbs for Lung Cleansing and Respiratory Support
- 7 Best Foods to Support Kidney Function
- Lung Cleansing With Peppermint Oil
- 10 Best Herbs for Boosting Female Sex Drive
About the author:
Dr. Edward F. Group III (DC, ND, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM) founded Global Healing Center in 1998 and is currently the Chief Executive Officer. Heading up the research and development team, Dr. Group assumes a hands-on approach in producing new and advanced degenerative disease products and information.
Dr. Group has studied natural healing methods for over 20 years and now teaches individuals and practitioners all around the world. He no longer sees patients but solely concentrates on spreading the word of health and wellness to the global community. Under his leadership, Global Healing Center, Inc. has earned recognition as one of the largest alternative, natural and organic health resources on the internet.
For more information, please visit Global Healing Center.