Contributing writer for Wake Up World
A silent and little known epidemic is causing fatigue, weight-gain, and chronic illness in fast-paced America. This pervasive syndrome is linked with two small glands known as the adrenals. Responsible for producing more than 50 crucial hormones, the health of the adrenal glands is imperative for well-being. By tending to the adrenals through diet, supplementation, and stress reduction, vibrancy and health are restored.
The adrenal glands are located directly above the kidneys and are involved in many important functions of the body. Progesterone, testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), cortisol, and adrenaline are among the many hormones secreted by these glands. Cortisol in particular is significant in the management of stress. When the adrenal glands are healthy and creating proper levels of cortisol, the body is able to contend with stress in an appropriate and balanced way. However, if cortisol levels are too high the immune system is compromised, increasing the likelihood of cancer and infection. Too low of cortisol levels and the immune system becomes overactive, leading to autoimmune disease. Additional functions of the adrenal glands include energy production within the body, regulating blood pressure, fluid and electrolyte balance, and stabilizing blood sugar levels.
Diagnosing adrenal fatigue
Often times, adrenal fatigue is difficult to diagnose clinically. Most mainstream doctors do not recognize adrenal fatigue since they are trained to look for severe adrenal malfunction such as Addison’s Disease or Cushing’s Syndrome. Fortunately, there are alternatives available for diagnosis. An effective and affordable salivary cortisol test can be purchased online. With this kit, a sample is collected at home then sent off to a lab for results. Self-diagnosis is another option.
According to Dr. Wilson, a specialist in adrenal health, indicators of adrenal fatigue include:
- Difficulty physically and mentally “waking up” before 10 a.m., even if one has been awake since early morning
- Sleepiness or clouded thinking between 2 to 4 p.m.
- Burst of energy at 6 p.m.
- Mild depression
- Unable to manage stress
- Muscular weakness
- Increased allergies
- Decreased sex drive
- Inability to handle foods high in carbohydrates or potassium
- Lightheadedness when getting up from a sitting or prone position
Further symptoms may include weight gain (especially around the waist), craving high protein foods along with salt and fat, nervousness, hair loss, and low body temperature.
Measures for healing
By adopting certain nurturing dietary and lifestyle habits, the adrenals can be brought into a state of equilibrium that helps to support vitality. Activities such as mild exercise, yoga, laughing, minimizing stress, and taking a short rest around 10 a.m. and again between 3 and 5 p.m. contribute to adrenal health. Healing dietary recommendations include: avoiding sugar, junk food, and caffeine; consuming six servings of vegetables per day and eating small amounts of quality protein with each meal; refraining from all cow dairy except for organic raw pasture butter which is high in adrenal nourishing cojugated linoleic acid (CLA); incorporating moderate amounts of extra-virgin olive or coconut oil into each meal. Enjoying a varied diet is also important to provide a spectrum of nutrients. Additionally, supplements play a crucial role in rebuilding the glands, especially vitamins A, B, C, E, pantothenic acid, and zinc.
Well-functioning adrenal health contributes to the enjoyment of life. By making a few necessary adjustments, strength, clarity and vigor return along with enthusiasm and zest.
- “Recovering from adrenal fatigue: How your body can overcome chronic stress and feel energized again” Dani Veracity naturalnews.com/019339
- “Adrenal Fatigue” healthremedies.com/adrenal_fatigue
- “Adrenal Fatigue & Exhaustion” Women womenlivingnaturally.com
- “Foods That Heal Adrenal Glands” Lori Anderson Craze, livestrong.com/article/340770-foods-that-heal-adrenal-glands
- “Adrenal Fatigue – Natural Remedies for Adrenal Fatigue” Cathy Wong, altmedicine.about.com
Recommended articles by Carolanne:
- Confirmed by Science: You Really Can Change Your DNA – Here’s How
- Kick the Caffeine Habit and Feel Better Quick with these Natural Alternatives
Yet Another Reason to go Organic – Research Verifies it Really is More Nutritious
- Inspire Physical, Emotional and Spiritual Transformation with Holotropic Breathwork
- Top 10 Food Frauds: Formaldehyde, Plastic, Melamine & Caustic Soda Found in Common Foods
- Autistic Boy With Higher IQ Than Einstein Discovers Gift After Removal From State-Run Therapy
Enhance Spiritual, Mental and Physical Well-being with a Pineal Gland Detox
Please note: this article was first published on Natural News.