March 30th, 2023
By Nikki Harper
Staff Writer for Wake Up World
Do you sense that there’s more to life than what you’re experiencing?
Perhaps you’re feeling a need to be alone while you try to figure out your life. Perhaps you’re spending many hours searching for meaning – and not finding it. Or maybe severely fluctuating energy levels and moods are leaving you shattered and wondering what’s going on. Maybe you’re finding yourself more sensitive to people, places, and atmospheres. You might be questioning everything you’ve previously taken for granted. Or perhaps you’re experiencing visions or clairvoyance or deeply unsettling dreams.
Emotoional and energetic symptoms like these, together with headaches, fatigue and depressive episodes, are common in people who are about to go through the spiritual awakening process.
So you are not alone.
But spiritual awakening can be messy and it can be painful. It can also take a long time for some people, although a minority may have a sudden awakening in a profound moment of trauma or joy.
So buckle up and settle in for the journey – because the destination is truly worth waiting for.
What is Spiritual Awakening?
Spiritual awakening is a process of self-discovery and transformation that involves a shift in consciousness. It’s about moving beyond the ego and connecting with your higher self, which is the part of you that’s connected to the universe and everything in it. When you awaken, you become more aware of your thoughts, emotions, and actions, and you begin to see yourself and the world around you in a new light.
Signs of Awakening
The awakening journey is a transformative and enlightening experience that can lead to a deeper sense of purpose and fulfillment. It’s a process of self-discovery that involves becoming more aware of your thoughts, emotions, and the world around you. There are many signs that indicate you may be going through an awakening process, and understanding these signs can help you navigate your journey with greater clarity and purpose.
- Heightened Sense of Awareness: As you awaken, you may notice that your senses become more acute. You may notice colors more vividly, hear sounds more clearly, and feel more deeply. This heightened awareness can lead to a greater sense of connection with the world around you.
- Increased Empathy: As you become more aware of your own emotions and thoughts, you may also become more attuned to the emotions and thoughts of others. You may find yourself more empathetic and compassionate towards others, and more sensitive to the energy around you.
- Sense of Purpose: Awakening often involves a sense of purpose and direction. You may feel a greater sense of clarity about your life’s purpose and your place in the world. This sense of purpose can give you the motivation and inspiration to pursue your goals and dreams.
- Questioning of Beliefs: Awakening often involves questioning long-held beliefs and assumptions. You may find yourself questioning the status quo and seeking deeper truths about yourself and the world around you.
- Inner Peace: As you become more aware of your thoughts and emotions, you may also develop a greater sense of inner peace. You may find yourself less reactive to external stimuli and more able to stay centered and grounded in the present moment.
- Spiritual Growth: Awakening often involves a deepening of your spiritual connection. You may find yourself drawn to meditation, prayer, or other spiritual practices, and may experience a greater sense of connection to a higher power or universal consciousness.
- Letting Go of Ego: Awakening often involves letting go of the ego and its associated attachments and desires. You may find yourself less focused on material possessions and more focused on spiritual growth and connection.
Navigating Your Spiritual Awakening
Awakening is not a one-time event, but rather an ongoing process of self-discovery and growth. It’s like planting a seed and nurturing it to grow into a beautiful tree. It may take time and it may involve many false starts and dead ends – because awakening doesn’t look the same for everyone. Where one person might find truth and peace, you may find still more questions, leaving you still looking for your own path.
But with the right attitude and understanding, you can enjoy the journey. Here are some essential tips to maintain sanity during the spiritual awakening process.
1. Practice Mindfulness
Mindfulness is the practice of being present in the moment, without judgment. It involves paying attention to your thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations, and accepting them for what they are. By practicing mindfulness, you can become more aware of your thoughts and emotions, and learn to control them instead of letting them control you.
Imagine yourself as a surfer riding the waves of life. When you’re mindful, you can sense the movement of the waves and adjust your position to stay balanced and ride them to shore. You become a master of your emotions, able to stay calm in the face of adversity and ride the waves of life with grace and ease.
2. Connect with Nature
Nature has a way of grounding us and helping us connect with our true selves. Spend time in nature, whether it’s going for a hike, sitting by a river, or just taking a walk in the park. Notice the beauty around you and allow yourself to be present in the moment.
Think of nature as a mirror that reflects your true self. When you’re surrounded by nature, you’re able to connect with your innermost thoughts and emotions. You become one with the universe and feel a deep sense of peace and contentment.
3. Follow Your Passion
Your passion is what makes you feel alive. It’s what gives you purpose and meaning in life. Identify what you’re passionate about and find ways to incorporate it into your life. This could be through your career, hobbies, or volunteering.
Passion is like a flame that burns within you, guiding you towards your true purpose. When you follow your passion, you’re able to tap into your innate talents and abilities. You become unstoppable, able to overcome any obstacle and achieve your wildest dreams.
4. Surround Yourself with Positive People
The people you surround yourself with can have a big impact on your life. Surround yourself with positive, supportive people who encourage and inspire you. Let go of relationships that drain your energy or bring you down.
Imagine yourself as a flower that needs sunshine, water, and nourishment to grow. When you surround yourself with positive people, you’re able to bloom and reach your full potential. You’re able to absorb their positive energy and use it to fuel your own growth and transformation.
5. But Don’t Be Afraid of Your Shadow Self
Positivity is essential, but don’t fall into the trap that spirituality must always be love and light. All of us have a shadow side, and you cannot fully awaken to your true self without acknowledging and integrating that shadow self and the darker elements of your nature.
Journaling is a good way to do this. Take note of your negative feelings and your less-than-perfect motivations and attitudes, and write about why you think you feel that way, and what your shadow self has brought to your life. Often it protects your vulnerable inner core, so exposing your shadow self can be intensely painful but wholly worthwhile.
6. Embrace Change
Change is a natural part of life, and it’s often the catalyst for growth and transformation. Embrace change and see it as an opportunity for growth, rather than a threat. When you’re open to change, you’re able to adapt to new situations and learn from them.
Think of change as a butterfly emerging from its cocoon. It may be scary and uncertain at first, but it’s also a beautiful and transformative process. When you embrace change, you’re able to spread your wings and fly towards your true potential.
In essence, spiritual awakening is a journey of self-discovery and growth. It’s about finding your true self and living the life you were meant to live. By practicing mindfulness, connecting with nature, following your passion, surrounding yourself with positive people, embracing your shadow self and accepting change, you can awaken to your true potential and live a life full of purpose and meaning.
Remember, you have the power to create the life you want. You just have to believe in yourself and take the first step towards your true potential. So go out there and start living the life you were meant to live!
About the author:
Nikki Harper is a spiritualist writer, astrologer, and editor for Wake Up World. She writes about divination, astrology, mediumship and spirituality at Questionology: Astrology and Divination For the Modern World where you can also find out more about her work as a freelance astrologer and her mind-body-spirit writing and editing services. Nikki also runs a spiritualist centre in North Lincs, UK, hosting weekly mediumship demonstrations and a wide range of spiritual development courses and workshops.