By Varya Kapran
Guest writer for Wake Up World
This is hands-down one of my favourite recipes of all time. In fact, I made it every weekend for the last four weeks until I perfected it for you. That’s how thoughtful I am! I sat there eating try after tray of them until I knew I had the recipe I could proudly stand behind.
So today I present my Old Fashioned Lemon Squares recipe. These bars have a delicious tangy tartness to them, a soft texture, and a “browned butter” crust. Made with simple organic ingredients, they’re easy to make and great to share, so if you are making a batch, be sure to invite some family and friends over to share the love.
Varya’s Old Fashioned Lemon Squares
Time: 50 minutes
Yield: serves 8 – 12
Browned Butter Crust
1/2 cup grassfed butter
3/4 cup coconut flour, organic
2 free range eggs, whisked
1/3 cup coconut sap sugar
2 tbsp water
a pinch of salt
4 free range eggs
3/4 cup coconut sap sugar
3 tbsp fresh lemon zest
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp organic coconut flour
a pinch of salt
1. Melt butter in a pan on medium-high heat, and allow to cook until browned. The butter will foam, clarify, and begin to foam again – this will take about 5-6 minutes after it has melted. Stir continuously to prevent from burning.
2. Transfer butter to a bowl, and place in the freezer to chill until set completely – this will take about 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F.
4. Prepare an 8 x 8 pan: grease the bottom and sides with coconut oil, and then add a large piece of parchment paper that folds over the sides (you will need this to lift the final product out of the pan). Grease the parchment paper with coconut oil on the bottom and sides as well.
5. Whisk the eggs. In a large bowl, mix all the rest of the crust ingredients by hand, and then add the egg – keep mixing by hand. It will end up as a crumbly crust/mixture.
6. Remove the browned butter from the fridge, and scoop small pieces (about 1/2 inch or less) into the batter. You can also just use a spoon and them crumble the butter with your hands.
7. Mix the batter again by hand, and when completely mixed, press into the pan evenly. Bake for 18 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, in another large bowl, mix all the filling ingredients together with a hand mixer, and pour over the batter as soon as it is removed from the oven.
9. Decrease oven heat to 325F, and bake the bars for 30 minutes.
10. Transfer to the fridge to set for several hours, and then lift out using the parchment paper on to a cutting board, and cut to size.
Also by Varya Kapran:
- Your Internal GPS – the Relationship Between Functional Neurology & Movement
- The Cycle of Change
- Your Body is Not a Tool
- I Am. You Are. Perfectly Imperfect.
- (re)Discover Your Inner Sexy!
- Loving Your Skin – 10 Essential Natural Topical Treatments
- Healing From Loss
- Home-Made Salted Caramel Recipe (+ Chocolate Option!)
- It’s Time To Come Home
- Is Your Diet Healthy for You? A Guide to Optimal Health
- 15-Minute Flourless Double-Chocolate Cookies Recipe (YUMMM!)
- Manifest[-ing] Love
About the author:
Varya Kapran is a wellness coach whose mission is to help people reconnect with their bodies through holistic nutrition, herbalism, movement, and neural re-education. She works with clients worldwide supporting them in their quality of life goals through a combination of cutting edge research, alternative therapies, and other techniques.