Contributing writer for Wake Up World
One of the most disruptive environmental toxins in our modern age, electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are difficult to dodge. Wifi and cellphones both generate this invisible menace, as do computers, televisions, cordless phones and microwave ovens. Cancer, Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis, chronic fatigue, depression, headaches, miscarriage and thyroid malfunction are all linked with exposure to electromagnetic pollution.
While EMFs are nearly impossible to avoid, we can take steps to reduce the negative impact. One method is through Halotherapy — otherwise known as dry salt therapy.
Salt, Happiness and Health
For over a century, spending time in salt caves for their healing attributes has been a common practice in locations like Germany and Poland. Early on, it was noticed that salt miners didn’t suffer from the widespread respiratory illnesses of the day, which were running rampant. The miners also tended to be exceptionally happy. It wasn’t until science established salt is rich in negative ions that the reason behind their robust health and sunny outlook was finally discovered. In turn, Halotherapy was born.
Today, a variety of health issues are addressed through exposure to man made “salt caves — where a natural microclimate is created by dispersing a dry salt aerosol in high concentrations into a halo chamber, whose surface is covered with layers of salt.” [source] When the salt is inhaled, it travels throughout the respiratory system and absorbs excess moisture, clears mucus, reduces inflammation and kills bacteria. The therapy has also been shown to be effective for those with skin and digestive ailments, as well as those who struggle with stress, headaches, fatigue and mood disorders, according to a study published in the Annals of Agricultural and Environmental Medicine.
Negative ions have been dubbed “the happy element” because they help to increase the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood — especially to the brain. Negative ions also speed up the oxidation of serotonin (5-hydroxtryptamine), which has positive effects on mood, pain relief and sexual drive. They also counteract free radicals — known as positive ions — which are created through exposure to environmental toxins — like chemicals, electronic equipment, cellphones and radiation. Moreover, negative ions encourage proper pH and hormonal balance in the body, while also strengthening metabolism and the immune system.
More than any other time in history, we are bombarded by positive ions, which is why making a conscious effort to introduce negative ions into our surroundings is becoming increasingly important. One of the best ways to do this is through the use of Himalayan crystal salt lamps.
Bringing Home the Benefits of a Salt Cave
With their soft orange glow, Himalayan salt lamps aren’t just a soothing addition to your environment. The lamps can also improve clarity, sleep, disposition and overall health. A seemingly tall order, the secret behind Himalayan salt lamps is their ability to generate negative ions and dry out the air — which helps to reduce airborne pathogens like viruses, bacteria and mold.
From a scientific standpoint, there are three principles at work with crystal salt lamps:
- Ionization — The emission of ions is primarily caused by the alternating actions of the heated salt’s ability to first attract and absorb water, and then evaporate it. The salt goes into a solution as it mixes with the water molecules.
- Sodium, as positively charged ions, and chloride, as negatively charged ions, become neutral and are released into your environment — which helps reduce pollutants such as allergens and irritants from your air.
- Electromagnetic oscillation — Every form of life on the planet depends on the electromagnetic field of vibration (known as the Schuman resonance frequency). Due to electronics and industrialization, your body receives artificial electromagnetic wavelengths with many diverse frequency values.
- Because of the neutral atomic structure of crystal salt, a heated salt lamp helps you harmonize and balance these artificial frequencies, and neutralize “electro-smog”.
- Transparent-crystalline structure developing the light waves — It’s well-known that you need the light waves of the rainbow spectrum (300-700 nanometers) for your health and preservation of your body. Your cells are supplied by light with new energy in the form of electromagnetic wavelengths.
- The wavelengths of salt crystal colors fall within the upper nanometer zone (600-700 nanometers) — producing positive and soothing effects.
For optimum benefit, place the lamp in areas where you spend a good deal of time which have high levels of positive ions — such as by your computer, television and next to your bed. Since children are especially sensitive to electromagnetic radiation, make sure to have at least one salt lamp within their bedroom to reap the full calming benefits.
Without a doubt, Himalayan salt lamps are an excellent first step to reduce a number of health effects associated with electro-smog. For additional ideas on how to protect yourself, have a look at the following articles: It’s True: You Really Can Protect Yourself Against Electromagnetic Radiation — Here’s How and Beware: Shoes Can be Hazardous to Your Health.
Editor’s note: With the rising popularity of Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamps, there are (of course) many fakes on the market. Check out this article for a simple guide to help you tell the difference between a cheap fake and the real deal.
- www.agro.icm.edu.pl/agro/element/bwmeta1.element.agro-4fe0c022-afb1-42f3-847f-8447e9e20aac/c/18.pdf [PDF]
- www.salttherapynq.com.au/assets/files/results/Salt_Therapy_for_dermatological_problems.pdf [PDF]
About the author:
Carolanne Wright enthusiastically believes if we want to see change in the world, we need to be the change. As a nutritionist, natural foods chef and wellness coach, Carolanne has encouraged others to embrace a healthy lifestyle of organic living, gratefulness and joyful orientation for over 13 years.
Through her website Thrive-Living.net, she looks forward to connecting with other like-minded people from around the world who share a similar vision. You can also follow Carolanne on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Recommended articles by Carolanne Wright:
- Antibiotics Shown to Impair Memory, Stop Growth of New Brain Cells
- Renowned Harvard Psychologist Says ADHD is Largely a Fraud
- Plastic Waste in the Ocean Will Outnumber Fish by 2050
- Monsanto Charged with Crimes Against Nature and Humanity – Set to Stand Trial in 2016
- Plastic-Eating Mushroom Discovered in the Amazon Rainforest — A Solution for Our Trash Saturated World?
- Over 100 Scientific Studies Agree: Cannabis Annihilates Cancer
- Why Every Parent Should Consider Unschooling
- First U.S. City Produces More Electricity Than It Uses — With 100% Renewable Technology
- If You Care About Animals and the Earth, Here’s Why You Need to Boycott Palm Oil Immediately
- Basic Income Guarantee: A Surprisingly Cost-Effective Method for Eliminating Poverty
- Almost Free Energy? For the Cost an iPhone, You Can Now Buy a Wind Turbine to Power Your Entire House