April 23rd, 2018
By Nanice Ellis
Contributing writer for Wake Up World
Although many paths lead to awakening, and there’s no one right way to “get there,” spiritual seekers often get lost in the system of spirituality and never reach the awakened state.
In fact, while on the spiritual path, it is quite common to trade one set of beliefs (dogma, concepts, etc…) for another, especially during Stage 3 of Awakening (please read my article, “The 5 Stages of Awakening”), and although new spiritual beliefs might provide some degree of awakening, trading one set of beliefs for another inevitably inhibits the final stages. Consequently, like a carrot on a stick, awakening is perpetually out of reach!
On the journey of awakening, if you mistake the bridge for the destination, the bridge itself could keep you asleep!
So, what exactly are some of these bridges?
Although a spiritual bridge can be almost anything, the most popular include:
- Healing modalities (energy healing, etc…)
- Divination methods (tarot, numerology, etc… )
- Mystical experiences (extrasensory perception, mediumship, remote viewing, etc…)
- Gurus, spiritual teachers, shamans, psychic readers, energy healers, etc…
- Plant medicines or psychedelics
- Spiritual practices or traditions
Don’t mistake the bridge for the destination!
Let’s be clear, this does not mean that you should avoid spiritual methods or anything you find helpful on your spiritual journey, and, in fact, a variety of modalities are immensely valuable, and some even accelerate awakening. However, no matter how powerful or profound a tool, technique or teacher might be, they are still just stepping stones. Although stepping stones can create an incredible bridge to awakening, if you mistake the bridge for the destination, you could get stuck in limbo, and this is the reason why so many devoted seekers get close to awakening yet never transcend the invisible threshold.
There are 3 common ways in which seekers mistake the bridge for the destination:
- Obsessive dependency on any one system, teacher, or modality.
- Giving one’s power to a system, teacher, or modality.
- “Serial bridge hopping” from one teacher, system or modality to the next.
The Proverbial Gate
Have you ever heard of the proverbial “gate of awakening”?
Well, it’s said that to enter the true and clear state of wakefulness, you must pass through an invisible gate, and since nothing gets through this gate, you cannot bring anything with you. In fact, for eons, it’s been said that only the “pure of heart” can enter.
What you might not know is that this is ancient code for letting go, and, in fact, the term “pure of heart” means that you are not encumbered with beliefs or entangled with any person, place or thing.
Therefore, to attain spiritual awakening, you must ultimately let go of virtually everything!
No matter the path or practice, all awakened beings have one thing in common — the final step of awakening is always letting go.
Although letting go is the key to awakening, this does not mean that you must leave your family, friends, careers, or society. In fact, the normal day to day dynamics of life do not have to change one bit (unless inner guidance directs otherwise). Rather than letting go of actual people, places and things, awakening requires letting go of beliefs, dogma, concepts, attachments, and entanglements, as well as all the paradigms that have kept us collectively asleep.
Since holding onto anything can keep us asleep in the illusion, even the tools, modalities, systems, and techniques used for awakening can be hidden traps that prevent the very thing they are intended for, and this means that even that which gets us to the proverbial gate of awakening must be dropped before we can pass through.
Once again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with any bridge to awakening, and I’m certainly not implying that you should stop practicing something that works for you. Honestly, I have thoroughly explored many of these bridges myself, referred others to do the same, and even practiced various modalities professionally.
In most cases, the bridge (system, modality, technique, process, teacher, etc…) is not the problem, but, rather, the way in which it is used. Therefore, the point is to think for yourself, and, ultimately, seek spiritual sovereignty! So, instead of giving your power to an organization, individual or modality, embrace your inner power, own your worth, and cultivate a direct connection to Source.
For more on this topic, please read my articles, “The ‘Spiritual Middleman’ – Is Your Spiritual Teacher Keeping You Asleep?” and “The 5 Stages of Awakening – Signposts and Pitfalls on the Path of Consciousness”)
In love, grace & gratitude,
Free 7-Part Spiritual Awakening Series with Nanice
No matter where you are on your path, this intensive series will support your journey to awakening.
Sign up now at www.nanice.com/awaken
Is There a White Elephant In Your Way? The Guidebook for Awakening and Self-Empowerment!
Whether you are looking to reclaim your life, improve relationships, attract more abundance or you are ready to wake-up, “Is There a White Elephant in Your Way?” provides the revolutionary answers you have been seeking.
Your life is a Divine Gift, waiting to be lived fully! As this unique guidebook shows you exactly how to overcome the ego and live as your True Empowered Self, you will learn how to recognize and understand the unconscious dynamics that have run your life, and step by step, you will be able to overcome your own inner blocks and outer issues, so that, one day soon, life overflows with joy and fulfillment!
So… Is there a White Elephant in your way?
The answer is yes, if you ever…
- Experience irrational fear or incessant worry
- Sabotage your big dreams or undermine your dearest desires
- Battle reoccurring issues in relationships, career, health or financial matters
- Feel like you are not yourself but don’t know why
- Get inspired but lack the motivation to follow through
- Believe that your greatest potential is out of reach
- Lack the energy to live your life the way you want to live it
- Worry about what other people think (especially about you)
- Beat yourself up with criticism but can’t seem to stop
- Play small or hide your gifts despite the compelling drive to live your life to the fullest
Discover the hidden key to unlocking your greatest potential and the real secret to being limitless!
“Is There a White Elephant in Your Way?” is available here in Kindle and Paperback editions.
About the author:
Nanice Ellis has been a professional Life Coach for over 20 years, successfully coaching women and men from all over the world. She is also an author, Theta Healer and Master Neuro Linguistic Practitioner.
Helping people to make quantum jumps in their lives, Nanice’s very unique coaching style is often referred to as the “Nanice Effect”. By using powerful and proven manifestation techniques, Nanice coaches people to tap into the power of the Universe and live their dreams, bridging the gap from the imagination to the realization of that dream. She works with leaders, coaches, healers and anyone who wants to live life to the fullest. You can learn more about the coaching programs offered at: Coaching Programs with Nanice.
Nanice is the author of several books, including the inspirational “The Infinite Power of You!” and “Even Gandhi Got Hungry and Buddha Got Mad!”, and her latest book, “Is There a White Elephant in Your Way? The Guidebook for Awakening and Self Empowerment” She is also the host of radio show Chai with Nanice. Her books are available at Nanice.com/6/Books and right here on Amazon.
Connect with Nanice at Nanice.com.
Recommended articles by Nanice Ellis:
- Raising Awake Children in a Broken School System
- Escaping the Matrix of Depression – The Truth About Depression Shall Set You Free
- Tired of Being a Negativity Sponge? 12 Ways to Prevent Energy Infiltration and Reclaim Your Energy
- Is Ayahuasca Mother Nature’s ‘Red Pill’?
- Overcoming Negative Thinking – The #1 Cause of Chronic Depression
- How To Help Others Spiritually Awaken
- How to Heal Emotional Trauma
- The 5 Stages of Awakening – Signposts and Pitfalls on the Path of Consciousness
- Are You More Awake Than Your Family? 12 Ways to Heal Relationships When Your Family Is Still Asleep
- Why You Should Forgive Your Parents… and How To Do It!