By Nick Polizzi
Guest Writer for Wake Up World
When I read the prayer below the first time, it sent a course of energy through me from head to toe. I’m honored to be able to share it with you.
It was written by Shantideva, a Buddhist monk of the Mahayana tradition that lived around 700 AD. He was a devoted practitioner who authored the Bodhicaryavatara or Bodhisattva Way of Life.
It is said that His Holiness the Dalai Lama considers this text to be THE source for developing altruism in your character and the “Spirit of Awakening.” It is also said that His Holiness the Dalai Lama recites this prayer every morning as part of his waking rituals. So, if you include it in yours, you are in good company!
Bodhisattva Prayer for Humanity
“May I be a guard for those who need protection
A guide for those on the path
A boat, a raft, a bridge for those who wish to cross the flood
May I be a lamp in the darkness
A resting place for the weary
A healing medicine for all who are sick
A vase of plenty, a tree of miracles
And for the boundless multitudes of living beings
May I bring sustenance and awakening
Enduring like the earth and sky
Until all beings are freed from sorrow
And all are awakened.”
Now, exhale and be still for a brief moment.
What speaks loudly in this prayer is that we are all here together. The call to serve is special. We are alive thanks to our ancestors and by helping the people, plants, animals, and life in our environment, we show appreciation for existing in this world. Gratitude is powerful!
Recommended articles by Nick Polizzi:
- Three Ancient Beauty Secrets You’ve Never Heard Of
- Jesus Did It, Buddha Did It, Muhammad Did It – The Healing Tradition of Fasting
- The Art of Smudging: A Shamanic Cleansing Ritual
- Sacred Science: A Jungle Healing Technique You Can Use Anywhere
- Wired for Tribe
- 3 Wild Herbs for Lucid Dreaming
- Eye Gazing — An Exercise for Soul Vision
- A Sunrise Prayer to Start Your Day
- A Native Smoke Ritual For Renewal and Clarity
- 3 Ancient Medicines That Already Live In Your Home
- A Breathing Exercise to Take You Higher
- A Healing Soup Recipe to Warm Your Soul
About the author:
Nick Polizzi has spent his career directing and editing feature length documentaries about natural alternatives to conventional medicine. Nick’s current role as director of “The Sacred Science” documentary and author of “The Sacred Science: An Ancient Healing Path For The Modern World” stems from a calling to honor, preserve, and protect the ancient knowledge and rituals of the indigenous peoples of the world.