Guest Writer for Wake Up World
Who doesn’t like a delicious cup of hot chocolate during these chilly autumn days? Most hot chocolates taste really good but leaves you feeling tired and moody. The added sugars and artificial ingredients is usually taxing on the body. But, none of us should be deprived of a healthy cup of hot chocolate, so I created a hot chocolate that lifts your mood and focuses your mind. I call this recipe Happy Hot Chocolate because it actually makes you feel happy. I have combined some of nature’s most powerful superfoods, creating a medicinal hot chocolate drink. This drink really helps me feel good and I want to share it so you can feel good too, so here you go:
Happy Hot Chocolate Recipe
Ingredients: (serves 2)
- 2 1/2 Cups of Nut Milk (Oat Milk, Almond, Hemp, Coconut)
- 2 T Cacao Powder
- 1 T Maca Powder
- 1 T Mucuna Pruriens
- 2 T of Maple Syrup, Raw Honey or Coconut Sugar
- A Pinch of Cinnamon
- Optional: Dried Mushrooms, Collagen Powder, Coconut Oil or Butter, Turmeric
- Optional: to give it a little spicy kick add a few droppers full of Master Tonic
- You can add Coconut Cream and Goji Berries on top.
- Mix together all ingredients except for the sweetener
- Heat mixture until desired temperature
- Add sweetener until dissolved
Why is this hot chocolate good for you?
This mood boosting hot chocolate is good for you because it is a combination of superfoods or nutrient dense ingredients that improve your mental and physical health.
Cacao Powder is one of the best sources of magnesium from nature which means its good for your heart, helps with muscle aches, sleep and calms the mood. Cacao is also high in antioxidants. It is great to strengthen the immune system and to give a natural energy boost.
Maca Powder is very nutrient dense with calcium, magnesium iron, zinc and essential amino acids. It is also high in B, C and E vitamins. Maca has many health benefits including increased stamina and energy. Helps boost libido, mood swings, hormonal balance and stress.
Mucuna Pruriens, also known as the velvet bean, is the highest source of L’Dopa, the precursor of dopamine. Dopamine is linked to mood, happiness and mental focus.
Cinnamon is high in antioxidants. It lowers blood sugar levels and cuts the risk of heart disease. Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties and helps the body fight bacterial or fungal infections.
If you click on the blue links above, you can order the ingredients from amazon. Adding some of the optional ingredients like collagen, turmeric, dried mushroom powder, or spices you increase the benefits of the hot chocolate. When I am feeling tired or just want a mood elevation, I make myself this delicious hot chocolate. After drinking a cup of Happy Hot Chocolate, I have a heightened awareness and a calm state of being. It’s a cup of pure bliss and everything feels better after.
For other foods that boost your mood, Click Here.
Enjoy this cozy weather,
Recommended articles by Alex ‘Earthie Mama’ Du Toit:
- 6 Reasons You Want to Switch to a Mineral Sunscreen Now
- 10 Tips to Get a Good Nights Sleep Naturally
- The Link Between Alcohol and Magnesium Deficiency
- 10 Health Benefits of Cucumbers
- Dirt is NOT Dirty – How Playing in the Dirt Benefits the Immune System
- How to Make Kombucha
- Practical Tips for Raising Earth-Conscious Children
- Ditch the Toxic Pharmaceuticals, Make Your Own Natural Body Care Products
- Turmeric Milk Recipe: a Natural Mood Enhancer and Depression Fighter
- Treating Anxiety Naturally
Originally published at Earthiemama and reproduced here with permission.
About the author:
Alexandra is a true Earthie Mama, helping others tune into their most natural, thriving state while bringing harmony and balance into all areas of their lives. She hosts a well-known blog, EarthieMama.com, where she writes about health and wellness, conscious parenting, green living, self sustainability and getting off the grid. Alex also has an MA in Psychology, and is a registered Yoga Instructor, environmentalist, conscious mother, green living advocate and natural birthing expert. She also sells all natural products and her ebooks through her website.