By Alex ‘Earthie Mama’ Du Toit
Guest Writer for Wake Up World
Onions, from the allium family like garlic, are one of the most potent of nature’s root vegetables. All root vegetables are very powerful for your health and onions are no different. Onions can be used in so many different ways and have many health benefits connected to the consumption of onions. Most people have onions in their kitchens which makes onions great as a natural remedy for many ailments. Here are health benefits of onions with remedies and recipes.
The Health Benefits of Onions
- High in Vitamin C, Potassium, Folate, Magnesium, Calcium and Phosphorus.
- High in Quercetin, an antioxidant studied for its ability to prevent heart disease and improve heart health.
- Onions are anti-bacterial and are high is sulfur that help kill off salmonella and E. Coli.
- They help prevent cancer with their sulfuric compounds and high antioxidants.
- They help with osteoporosis as they build bone and mineral density.
- An onion can lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin levels.
Onions as an Immune Booster
The onion does a wonderful job at supporting the immune system. They are anti-bacterial and anti-viral and therefore a great immune booster. I use the Master Tonic to boost my immune system daily to prevent myself from getting sick. It is an all organic raw recipe with Apple Cider Vinegar and nature’s most powerful ingredients. In fact it is the one supplement that should be taken daily for immune boosting health and as a cold and flu remedy.
Onion Soup is a great way to get onions into your body. Throw the whole onion in, skins too because they have the most quercetin in them. When I am making bone broth, I add lots of onions with the skins to make the bone broth extra immune boosting. Here is a recipe to make bone broth. You can also make a french onion soup.
Onions for Coughing and Congestion
Onions helps to bring mucus and clear congestion in the chest. Using Onion Honey Syrup or a Onion Poultice on the chest are the best ways to clear coughing and congestion.
Honey Syrup Recipe:
- Heat up chopped onions in a saucepan fully coated with honey.
- Heat on very low until onions are clear.
- Take a spoonful every 3 hours until symptoms go away.
How to make an Onion Poultice:
- Slice an onion and place in water, heating the onion up.
- Let onion cool then wrap the onion in a towel.
- Gather the ends of the towel with a rubber band and place on the chest or back
- Leave on for about 20 minutes. It is good to repeat every few hours until symptoms are gone.
Onions to Pull Out Infections and Toxins from Feet
Onions have been used for centuries as a way to pull infections out of the body. An onion poultice can be wrapped around bees stings, boils to draw out infections. If you come down with a cold or flu, wrapping onion on the bottom of the feet, pulls out toxins and infections while you sleep. It is also used in eastern medicine as a way of detoxing.
Onions for Ear Infections
Onions can be used to help clear ear infections. By cutting an onion in half and placing it on the ear. You can also squeeze some onion juice in the ear to help relieve infections.
Onion for Toothaches
Chewing on a piece of raw onion will help kill germs, prevent tooth and gum disorders and helps relieve toothaches.
I hope you have learned ways that onions can benefit you. Onions are my go to during cold and flu season. I drink them in my Master Tonic daily, use plenty in my bone broths and sleep with them on my feet.
Cheers to your health!
Recommended articles by Alex ‘Earthie Mama’ Du Toit:
- A Hot Chocolate Recipe That Makes You Happy
- Make Your Own Natural Deodorant
- Why Are Food Allergies Increasing?
- 6 Foods to Boost Your Mood
- 6 Reasons You Want to Switch to a Mineral Sunscreen Now
- 10 Tips to Get a Good Nights Sleep Naturally
- The Link Between Alcohol and Magnesium Deficiency
- 10 Health Benefits of Cucumbers
- Dirt is NOT Dirty – How Playing in the Dirt Benefits the Immune System
- Practical Tips for Raising Earth-Conscious Children
Originally published at Earthiemama and reproduced here with permission.
About the author:
Alexandra is a true Earthie Mama, helping others tune into their most natural, thriving state while bringing harmony and balance into all areas of their lives. She hosts a well-known blog, EarthieMama.com, where she writes about health and wellness, conscious parenting, green living, self sustainability and getting off the grid. Alex also has an MA in Psychology, and is a registered Yoga Instructor, environmentalist, conscious mother, green living advocate and natural birthing expert. She also sells all natural products and her ebooks through her website.
Please check out her website at EarthieMama.com, connect with Earthie Mama on Facebook, or sign up to the free EarthieMama e-newsletter!