Contributing Writer for Wake Up World
Because a large portion of people suffer from gastrointestinal disturbances such as constipation, diarrhea, and heartburn, it is more than likely that a Vitamin B12 deficiency (or a subclinical deficiency) is far more prevalent than what was previously thought.
Vitamin B12 requires sufficient gastric acid for absorption. Even if an individual has sufficient intrinsic factors necessary for B12 absorption, over-the-counter (OTC) drugs as well as prescription drugs for heartburn (which suppress the acid) indirectly suppress Vitamin B12 absorption.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Commonly prescribed drugs also cause nutritionally deficiencies, including Vitamin B12, which has been linked to many health conditions.
Here’s just a small list of such drugs:
- Oral contraceptives (birth control pills)
- Anti-hypertensive (blood pressure lowering)
- Anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen, aspirin)
- Anti-ulcer and Heartburn drugs (i.e. H2 blockers such as Prilosec, Nexium)
- Cholesterol-lowering drugs (i.e. Lipitor)
- Phenothiazines (i.e. Thorazine)
- Tricyclic antidepressants (i.e. Sinequan, Norpramin)
- Benzodiazepines (i.e. Xanax)
- ERT (Estrogen Replacement Therapy)
- Anti-diabetic drugs
If you notice, oral contraceptives (birth control pills) top the list above. Interestingly, it is commonly accepted knowledge that oral contraceptives are linked with an increased risk of blood clots and stroke, especially in women “over the age of thirty-five”.
Most women start taking birth control pills in their late teens or early twenties without also being advised to take Vitamin B12 and other important nutrients such as Vitamin B6 to lower homocysteine levels (an amino acid derivative from the amino acid cysteine), and Vitamin B9 (folic acid) – except in low does for the prevention of birth defects.
High homocysteine levels are now considered a major factor in cardiovascular disease, including blood clots and stroke!
Even more interesting are the use of beta-blockers (from the list above) to treat cardiovascular disease, while adding to the risk of cardiovascular disease by depleting important nutrients such as Vitamin B1 (thiamine), Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), Vitamin B9 (folic acid), Vitamin B12 (cobalamin)… and most alarming Coenzyme Q10!
Did you know that heart disease is linked to low CoQ10 levels? And that heart disease has even been reversed with CoQ10 therapy?
Vitamin B12 deficiency has also been linked with depression. With at least 1 out of 6 Americans being diagnosed with depression, it would seem to be a “no-brainer” that a doctor would to take a closer look at the Vitamin B12 levels in the body before reaching for the prescription drug pad.
Wouldn’t doctors want to prevent potential horrific side effects associated with those drugs? I’ll go even farther to say that the medical profession should re-evaluate what is considered “normal” Vitamin B12 levels, because the current so-called “healthy” levels are simply not showing the real picture when serious health conditions such as cardiovascular and autoimmune disease are on a steady increase in this country!
Previous articles by Dr. Michelle Kmiec:
- Natural Cure for Chronic Pain Syndromes Silenced by the Medical Establishment
- Beta-Carotene vs. Retinol: Are You Getting Enough Vitamin A?
- Have We Lost All Common Sense
- Can Cantaloupes Help Prevent Cancer?
- The Sun & Skin Cancer: Examining the Truths, Pseudo-Truths & Lies of Mainstream Science
- “Blame It On Your Genes”: the Money-Making Myth of Modern Medicine
- Illness vs. Industry: Will Scientists Ever Find a “Cure” for Cancer?
- Antipsychotics for ADHD? There is Something Wrong with Our Medical Establishment
- Exposed: Monsanto’s Mission To Pharmaceutically “Enhance” GMO Foods
About the author:
Dr. Michelle Kmiec is a licensed chiropractor who also holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Human Biology. She is life-long athlete who after curing herself 100% naturally from autoimmune neurological symptoms and anxiety, became an avid nutrition health researcher/promoter, author of Healthcare Freedom Revolution: Exposing the Lies, Deceit and Greed of the Medical Profession, and Founder of the website Online Holistic Health.
You can follow Online Holistic Health on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.