Guest Writer for Wake Up World
Commercial insect repellents are so incredibly toxic with dangerous chemicals such as DEET (diethyltoluamide). As an Earthie Mama I want to make sure that my children only have the most natural ingredients on their skin. While living in Costa Rica, I had to figure out how to protect my family naturally from the overwhelming amounts of bugs.
Today I will share with you how simply you can make your own bug-away spray.
This recipe can be made very simply with your choice of essential oil/s and a ‘carrier’ oil or alcohol. Rub or spray the natural insect repellent onto skin or clothing, using care to avoid the sensitive eye area. You’ll need to re-apply after a few hours or when you feel like the bugs are biting. Unused natural insect repellent may be stored in a dark bottle, away from heat or sunlight. If you wish, you may combine the oil with aloe vera gel to change the consistency to more of a spreadable lotion.
Make Your Own Bug-Away Spray
The essential oils that work well against biting insects (mosquitoes, flies, ticks, fleas) are:
– Cinnamon oil (mosquitoes)
– Neem oil (mosquitoes, fleas, flies, and small bugs you can’t even see)
– Eucalyptus oil (mosquitoes, ticks, and lice)
– Citronella oil (mosquitoes and biting flies)
– Castor oil (mosquitoes)
– Orange oil (fleas)
– Rose geranium (ticks and lice)
– Peppermint (spiders)
Safe carrier oils include:
– Coconut oil
– Olive oil
– Sunflower oil
– Witch hazel
– Rubbing alcohol
Just mix your choice of essential oil/s and a ‘carrier’ oil or alcohol.
Don’t let the bed bugs bite!
Alex (Earthie Mama)
ps. True Earth Mama makes an awesome insect repellent spray. Made from Witch Hazel, Citronella. Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, Lemongrass, Lavender, Litsea, Tea Tree, Patchouli and Catnip, it’s all natural and smells good too! Visit TrueEarthMama.org for more information.
Recommended articles by Alex ‘Earthie Mama’ Du Toit:
- 7 Ingredients for Natural Cancer Prevention – Health Tonic Recipe Included!
- Treating Anxiety Naturally
- Immune Support Tonic – Delicious Natural Recipe
- Natural Antibiotic Ointment Recipe!
- Make Your Own Bug-Away Spray (Easy Recipe)
- Nature’s Most Powerful Antibiotics (Recipe Included!)
- 10 Health Benefits of Cucumbers
- Dirt is NOT Dirty – How Playing in the Dirt Benefits the Immune System
- How to Make Kombucha
- Practical Tips for Raising Earth-Conscious Children
- Homemade Ginger Ale Recipe
- Turmeric Milk Recipe: a Natural Mood Enhancer and Depression Fighter
About the author:
Alexandra is a true Earthie Mama, helping others tune into their most natural, thriving state while bringing harmony and balance into all areas of their lives. She hosts a well-known blog, EarthieMama.com, where she writes about health and wellness, conscious parenting, green living, self sustainability and getting off the grid. Alex also has an MA in Psychology, and is a registered Yoga Instructor, environmentalist, conscious mother, green living advocate and natural birthing expert. She also sells all natural products and her ebooks through her website.