12th February 2016
Guest Writer for Wake Up World
Valentine’s Day is coming and for many that means chocolate. I admit that I do have a serious sweet tooth and try to temper it, by making desserts that are not overly sweet. This dessert fits the bill. I love the crunch of chocolate and the creamy filling.
While I do recall eating raw cookie dough as a child, I admit it wasn’t the healthiest of choices. This filling however is made with chickpeas, which is loaded with fiber, vitamins and minerals. You will be pleasantly surprised by this creamy filling.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas OR one 15.5 oz can cooked chickpeas, rinsed
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips (mini chips)
- 3/4 c. Cacao powder
- 1/2 c. Maple syrup
- 4 ounces of cacao butter
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine chickpeas, maple syrup, baking soda, cashew butter, and vanilla extract. Process until smooth. Pour mixture into a medium bowl.
- Add chocolate chips to the bowl and fold them in until completely combined. Refrigerate till firm enough to scoop.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the pan into the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- A few minutes before you remove them from the freezer, melt the cacao butter over low heat, stir in cacao powder and maple syrup. Stir till smooth. Dunk the cookie dough bites into the melted chocolate and place back on the baking sheet. Freeze again for 20 minutes and dip in chocolate a second time.
- If you have any remaining melted chocolate, feel free to drizzle it over the cookie dough bites. Chill for 15 minutes and serve.
- Store up to one week in the fridge or keep them in the freezer, so you don’t eat them all in one sitting!
Recipe adapted from:
Further reading from Elisha McFarland ND:
- The Health Benefits of Hemp Seed … and 6 Delicious Hemp Milk Recipes!
- Are You Washing Your Hands With This Toxic Pesticide?
- Amalgam Fillings Release Mercury Vapor Into Your Body 24/7
- Understanding Food Labels
- How to Create A Healthy Non-Toxic Bedroom
- Toxic Products to Ban From Your Home – Plus Healthier Alternatives to Help You Do It
- The Amazing Health Benefits of Elderberry (includes Elderberry Herb Syrup Recipe!)
About the author:
Elisha McFarland N.D., D. A. Hom., CWR., M.H. is the founder of My Health Maven. Elisha turned her debilitating illness from mercury poisoning into a dedicated passion to helping others. The My Health Maven website covers a wide range of topics including non-toxic living, health tests at home, the healing power of foods, home remedies, food ingredients, dental health and environmental illness. Her goal is to share her experience and knowledge, to help others live life more abundantly.
Elisha’s articles are widely published throughout alternative media such as The Organic Consumer’s Association and Food Matters TV. She is also a contributor to GreenMedInfo, Natural Health 365, The Hearty Soul and Eat Local Grown.