By Colin Zauner
Guest Writer for Wake Up World
Many people find it difficult to work out, and working out in the gym can be complex; there are hundreds of different exercise programs that are available for people who are interested in losing weight, getting fit and boosting their health and overall wellness.
Choosing the right workout plan can be a daunting task, but the importance of choosing the right workout plan can make or break your overall health.
Learn how to choose the right plan with the help of these simple tips.
Know Your Goal
Right before you plan out your workout programs, you need to know what your goals are. If you are a 200 pound person wanting to lose weight, you should have a set of goals that will help you inspire to lose body fat, not gain muscle.
When you know your goals, you know where and where to start.
In setting your goals, you need to be realistic. Never set yourself up for failure by setting unrealistic goals. Set your goals in a realistic manner by taking it slow. Aim to lose three pounds in two weeks in full workout mode, and you will soon realize that you can do more. Lower your standards in setting your goals. Be realistic with it and you will not end up getting discouraged. Make your goals attainable as well, both financially and emotionally.
Identify Your Body Type
There are three basic body types that will help determine the type of workouts that you need to do. These body types are ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph.
- Ectomorphs are lean and thin and have difficulty gaining weight.
- Mesomorphs have muscular body but tend to lose and gain weight fast.
- Endomorphs on the other hand are round plump body types that tend to have difficulty losing weight.
By learning your body type you will also learn your metabolism.
- Ectomorph body types tend to have faster metabolism. This means that weight gain is difficult to achieve but not impossible. An ectomorph’s diet should be consisting of high protein high carbohydrate diet and focus on mass-building workouts.
- Mesomorphs should maintain their body structure by taking different sets of workouts.
- Endomorphs on the other hand need to have fast paced workouts with diets consisting of complex carbohydrates.
Know Your BMI
BMI stands for Body Mass Index. It is an indicator of the total body fat of a person. BMI is calculated by dividing your weight in kilograms by your height in meters squared… or click here to use NIH’s BMI calculator.
By knowing your BMI, you know where to start your goals and know what type of workout programs you need to take. Your BMI will also tell you your natural body type. This will help you have an aim in the first place. For example, if you find yourself having flab when your body is mesomorphic, then you will have an idea of what you need to do to achieve your goals.
Perfect Workout Basics
All in all, choosing the right workout plan is all about setting the right goals and knowing the basics of your body structure. Your body will be able to adapt to different workouts. but it will prove to be more difficult if you are doing the wrong things.
- Ectomorphs should focus on gaining muscles and lift heavier objects rather than using fast movements during workouts.
- Mesomorphs should be toning their bodies instead of lifting heavier weights if they want to maintain their body weight.
- Endomorphs should use lighter weights but lift them at a faster pace in order to burn calories.
Colin Zauner is a content specialist for AllWorkoutRoutines.com, where he provides informative articles on full body workout routines and cardio exercises that can be done from home.
Disclaimer: Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of Wake Up World or its staff.