Contributing Writer for Wake Up World
I get really excited about big healthy, hearty salads. In fact, I enjoy a vibrant salad for lunch every day (and often with dinner too). Rather unfortunately, many people’s only experience with salad resembles a bit of limp lettuce, some waxed cucumber and over-sized tasteless tomato (which is probably genetically modified). Added to that, fast food places tend to serve the unheathiest salad dressings ever (laden with sugar and the worst sort of vegetable oil). Thankfully, many of us have been blessed to find more conscious ways of eating.
For many, salads play a major role in health, offering a vast array of vitamins, minerals, essential fats and protein. With so many different plant foods available in our world we could literally have a different dish every day of the year. If you want to stay healthy, and eat wholesome, nutritious salad every day, then celebrate it; experiment; explore; be bold; don’t be afraid to try new things; find what works for you and let those positive-living vibes ripple outwards! Salads can be truly inspiring, leaving you feeling refreshed and nourished.
In this article, I am sharing plenty of ideas and tips to keep your salad creations vibrant and inspirational. The tips below are designed to inspire your imagination. So, mix and match and let your imagination run wild.
Top tips for creating deliciously healthy salads
1. Use the freshest, organic ingredients that you can find. This ensures optimal vibrancy, taste and nutritional value. Visit your local farmers market or health food store and buy whatever is in season. Be sure to try things you’ve never even heard of too. If your local options are limited, then start growing your own (even if you have a balcony on a 5th floor building, you can grow in pots).
2. Discover healthy home-made salad dressings to jazz up your salads; this helps to ensure that you get a good healthful portion of essential fats and protein. Make dressings up in advance and they could last you a couple of weeks at a time. A good salad dressing can turn a nice salad into the most delicious salad ever. A good salad dressing usually consists of the follow basic ingredients:
- healthy fat (in the form of cold-pressed oil, avocado or seed/nut butter)
- lemon, lime or vinegar (such as raw apple cider vinegar)
- something salty like himalayan salt/sea salt or tamari
and then a dancing combination of one or more of the following
- herbs (like parsley, coriander leaf or mint)
- warming spices (like ginger or turmeric)
For really delicious salad dressing inspiration and a great recipe check out my video here…
3. Add high protein raw nuts and seeds, like brazils, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, cashews macadamia nuts, hemp seed, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed. These all contain healthy plant based fats, essential for health and make a salad feel more filling (as well as tasty).
4. Add a few olives or some ripe avocado for a healthy infusion of plant fats. These additions alone can transform an otherwise un-happening salad.
5. Use fresh herbs like basil, coriander leaves, parsley, garden mint, fennel leaves, chervil. Use liberally and to your hearts content. Not only do they all contain incredible beneficial healing properties, they can turn a plain ol’ salad into a divine plate sent from heaven!
6. If you like adding cooked (warm or cold) things to jazz up a salad, try adding cooked beans, chickpeas, cold new potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice or quinoa. These can help boost your protein intake whilst giving you that ‘really satiated feeling’. Add them warm or cold, for different moods.
For my favourite warm quinoa salad check out this delicious, high protein recipe here…
7. For a main meal, consider serving your salad on a bed of hot rice, millet or quinoa (try drizzling on some hemp oil or coconut oil along with a splash of tamari first, and then add the salad on top). I absolutely love salad as part of my main meal, especially with a thick, creamy, flavourful avocado or tahini type dressing.
8. Embrace veggies that you wouldn’t always think of putting in a salad, like cauliflower, broccoli or fennel; but it might help to chop them really small and mix in a creamy salad dressing (like tahini sauce) first.
This ‘Thick Creamy Cauliflower Salad with Tahini Sauce’ is an excellent way to use veggies like cauliflower…
9. Perfect veggies for grating include carrot, beetroot, swede (rutabaga), courgette, sweet potato & kohlrabi. Grated veggies are brilliant in a salad.
10. If you are in a rush, create a stack of chopped veggie sticks. Ideal finger food. Cucumber, carrot, celery and sweet pepper all slice nicely for dipping. This works very well if you have a pot of hummus, tapenede or avocado dip on hand. It’s the ideal thing to take out when you are on the road or want something healthy for lunch at work or college.
11. Create it with love! Perhaps one of the most important points of all! Everything is energy. Whatever you do, be present with every moment of creating your salad. Or as best you can. Making food with love will definitely make it taste better. You’ll feel better for making and sharing it too.
Seven super healthy salads…
A delicious cauliflower salad with a thick tahini dressing: Cauliflower & Tahini Salad
A super detox salad with walnut & sun-dried tomato sauce: Delicious Detox Salad
Wrap it all together in a raw kale burrito: The ‘Look After Yourself Kale Wrap’
A great way to use swede in salad: Swede & Kale Salad with Lemon & Ginger Tahini Sauce
A tasty kale salad: Summer Kale Salad with Hemp & Parsley Dressing
The perfect high protein meal: Warm Quinoa Medley Salad
A super healthy avocado salad dip: Best Ever Guacamole
Of course, this is just a start – a bouncing board for inspiration. I hope that you find many more ideas on your journey to ever greater levels of wellness.
Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen
Trinity Bourne is delighted to bring you this unique and delicious collection of compassionate, healthy and thought provoking recipes, inspired by years of catering for spiritual retreats and events.
Good for the body and great for the soul, Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen is a divinely inspired invitation into a world of transformational eating, introducing original vegan, wheat-free, sugar-free recipes designed to create optimal health, and greater spiritual, mental and emotional clarity.
You can find out more at Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen or pick up a copy on Amazon.
Editor’s note: there are some dodgy copies of Trinity’s e-book floating around online. To make sure your kitchen stays conscious, support the author, get the real deal and buy from the source â¤ Andy
More articles by Trinity Bourne:
- No-Bake Carrot Cake Recipe (Gluten Free & Vegan)
- The Health Benefits of Beetroot – Recipes Included
- Chickpea & Mushroom Burger Recipe (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- Global Animal Industries – the Ghosts in Our Machine
- Recipe – Vegan Banana & Chocolate Cupcakes (Wheat-Free & Delicious)
- Trusting the Divine Through Uncertain Times
- All About Avocados – Health Benefits, Tips and Recipes
- Foraging Guide – with 12 Nutritious Wild Plants That Anyone Can Find
- Keeping Slugs & Snails Off Your Veggies – Compassionately
- The Benefits of Lemon Balm – a Must in Any Garden
- Chocolate Paradise Coconut Bar Recipe – Vegan, Raw, Absolutely Delicious!
- Rosemary’s Amazing Health Benefits
About the author:
Trinity is an experienced, empathic energy worker and the author of ‘Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen’, a recipe book designed to inspire the soul through conscious vegan, wheat-free cuisine.
Around 18 years ago, during a profound spiritual awakening, the world around her shattered. She became engulfed in a white, universal, timeless, formless light until nothing else existed – other than the nameless truth at the core of all sentient beings. During this life-changing experience Trinity experienced the soul of all other sentient beings, trees, creatures, people as one pulsating energy. Transcending her into a higher realm of unity and oneness, this experience imparted a divine energy that she has been sharing through spiritual work ever since.
Understanding that the energy of our food directly impacts sentient life on all levels, Trinity founded Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen, a website devoted to inspiring the soul through conscious vegan cuisine. She is the co-founder of the Openhand Foundation, an organisation dedicated to the evolution of humankind. She works as the divine complement to her soul mate Open to help facilitate the global Ascension process and feels incredibly blessed to be of divine service.
For more conscious recipe ideas, pick up Trinity’s book Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen.