By Hilde Larsen
Contributing writer for Wake Up World
It might be hard to imagine staying sick would have benefits, right? Well, it might not be. Without even knowing it, you could be holding on to a dis-ease as an identity. Yes, without even being aware of the pattern.
You might feel your chronic diagnosis is serving you in some way. That it`s beneficial to your life, and I will tell you how and why.
The most common response to such a statement is: – How in the world would being sick serve anybody? All I want is to get well, and there is no way being sick would serve me or anyone?
Well, I am afraid there could be. A number of issues might be lingering as subconscious beliefs and understandings. The beliefs that keeps you locked in your current situation, clinging to what is, even if it is suffering and pain. We love what is, even when we hate it. What we hate more is change. The unknown, the unpredictable. AND what we fear more than not getting well is to shine. To actually feel amazing.
First of all, these are most often unconscious patterns, not something you are choosing in the awake state. Unconscious means hidden to us. Hidden from our thoughts and awareness, BUT boy do we live the effects. We will feel the subconscious patterns through the life that we live. Meaning, you show me your life and I will tell you what you believe and which patterns you live by. Tricky, I know.
Now, the reason behind this approach is freedom. The ability to make conscious choices not cluttered by a crappy belief system. To not keep yourself sick for the sake of fearing to break free. Fearing health and what it represents.
The Disease Identity; A Very Common Pattern:
The pattern is easily recognized. You need to talk about the dis-ease and about the body in general. You might have the desire to keep telling your story. There is an eagerness to talk about your suffering. It has become your identity.
When the identity has become a lifestyle, they might be the head of a diagnosis organization or a chronic dis-ease forum. Protecting the dis-ability checks, feeling locked into the whole lifestyle. Now, friends and colleagues are of the same mindset. Understanding and getting healthy will feel like a loss.
Like a threat almost. Getting healthy might even feel as a deceit. It might feel like you are turning your back on your friends and followers, the tribe and family.
This programming comes from the need to belong:
We all need to feel that we belong, and when we haven`t felt this growing up, we will search for it in any community or situation. Once we find it, as it`s one of the basic humans needs, it`s very hard to let it go. We tend to want to stand by our tribe no matter what. They are the ones that have stuck by us, and have taken us in. We feel welcomed and loved. The dis-ease might even be our livelihood now, our business. A very good and sane reason to hold on to it, now that it is “working” for us. Our perceived identity is worth holding onto for our dear lives, and the true and devastating story is that it is exactly what we might do.
I am sure you have heard the expression, mind over matter. It means that our mind is powerful beyond our cells, and that by using its power we can change almost anything. The mind will win every single time, although it is not quite that black and white. Be aware of your reactions to a new amazing, healing, regenerating and soul loving journey, and the self-sabotage will not be an issue. You are the one in charge, and you can absolutely override any old record.
As long as you know that it’s there, you are the boss of the playlist.
The 10 Benefits of Staying Sick:
- You are getting more attention from your partner. Finally, you are getting the helping hand you need.
- You are finally getting the rest that you need. Not feeling well, or having a diagnosis makes it easy to finally say no. It is hard to take time to rest when everyone sees you are healthy and vibrant. Expectations takes over.
- You can say no to any event that you would rather not attend. Again, finally you can say no to everything you never really wanted to do anyway.
- You do not have to do the job you did not enjoy. You can use the sick-leave card. No work, and you do not have to face getting a new job.
- People are more compassionate towards you. You are now understood. You are getting more attention in general. People seem kinder.
- You have found community with people that are suffering the same way that you are. You are in the same boat. You understand each other. Finally, you feel like you belong, and someone understands what you are going through. Not something you are willing to give up.
- You love all the help that people are offering you. Feeling like a Queen or king at times. So many amazing kind helpers. That’s a first.
- Finally, you do not have to “perform”. Off the hook.
- You are finally right. You knew something were wrong and now everybody will see just how sick you really are.
- You feel less responsible and can finally take time for YOU. Indefinitely.
When we are ready to take full charge of our life and health, addressing this self-sabotage is a great place to start.
Accepting the now is important but making it your identity is a trap. You are capable to change your thoughts and your future, through allowing all of your potentials to come forth.
Start by taking a good look at your inner beliefs and self-talk. If you are sensing that you might have a reason to hold on to your current situation, work on letting that go. You no longer need to be, do, or say anything to be loved and appreciated. Just by being you, the Universe is celebrating. It is doing the happy dance just because you are being right here. The fact that you are here, right now, breathing and living, is worth a celebration. You deserve great health, we all do. There is no reason what so ever, that would validate any suffering or pain. This is the time to let go of those old patterns, and you will.
Stand in front of the mirror every day, look into your beautiful face and say:
- I deserve health
- Being healthy is what is best for me
- I never need to be sick again
- I love myself
- I love being healthy and free
- I can choose what to do with my life
- Being healthy is true freedom
- It is safe to be strong and fit
- Being healthy is safe
- My heath is my choice
- I am always loved, no matter what
All self-sabotage is born from the misbelief that we are less-than, not good enough, do not deserve and are not worthy of love and abundance. We carry with us the pattern that reflects back to us what we believe. All depending on which types of situations we have experienced from the early part of our lives those same patterns are still ruling.
We can’t change the past. Yet, as adults we can identify the self-sabotaging thoughts and actions that we’ve internalized. We can consciously choose to act against them. When we fall victim to our critical inner voice, and get sucked in by its deceiving directives, self-sabotaging is a fact. The actions we then take are always self-limiting and not of our highest potential. Every day we need to collect our thoughts, and to do so carefully. We are our own protectors of thought and will always live what we believe.
Cause and effect.
We can control our thoughts, and by learning how we really think, how we are subconsciously thinking, we can dive into changing the destructive patterns.
The subconscious mind can be reprogrammed, and every single day, it is. By the way that we live and think, we are telling our inner being what we really believe in. By walking in the direction of change, and at the same time changing our conscious thoughts, we are slowly but steadily changing from within.
This is the time to fearlessly let it all go, all of what has been holding you back. It does not matter if it’s the fear of change, the fear of not being able to have pizza or coffee, or if it’s the fear of getting well itself. You better get ready, because you have officially been poked.
You have been called, this is your time to roll.
Being the healthies version of YOU is safe and you are worthy.
Don’t let old programming stand in your way.
Go get it!
“Never let the fear of change stop you from doing anything. Change is inevitable, and only when we become fearless, life becomes limitless.” – Hilde
Recommended articles by Hilde Larsen:
- My 83-Day Juice Fast – An Authentic Experience
- How to Declutter Your Thoughts and Emotions
- Is Grounding the Missing Link to Better Health and Wellbeing?
- How to Write Your Life Manifesto, and Why It Will Change Your Life
- 10 Ways to Foster an Attitude of Gratitude
- Why Is Our Society So Sick?
- Spread Your Wings! 8 Benefits of Living Outside Your Comfort Zone
- The Day I Died – The Dark Night of The Soul
- Deal With Your Own Shit – Then Serve Others
- The Truth Will Set You Free, But First It Will Piss You Off
About the author:
Hilde Larsen, known as ‘the one who Inspires’, is the CEO and founder of inspiredbyhilde.com. She is a certified Health and Mindset Coach, an Author, a Keynote Speaker, Detox Specialist, Raw food Teacher and Life-Enthusiast. Her glowing enthusiasm for health and vitality has the leading role in her work. Her interest in healing and spiritual growth also led her to become a Reiki Healer. She is highly intuitive and has a strong connection to Mother Earth and the spiritual world.
Hilde Larsen writes articles, and has her own blog and YouTube channel. She is the author of three published books: ‘From HELL to Inspired’, ‘Know the Truth and Get Healthy’, and ‘No More Bullshit’. She creates online video programs and has her own membership site, The Inspired Members.
Born and raised in Stavanger, Norway, she and her husband of 29 years have a second home in Florida, USA. She is a proud mother and grandmother, and a tree-hugger at heart. Called by nature and spirit, she is inspiring many to take back their power, and to live a healthy successful life doing what they love. Hilde now spends her time traveling between Norway and Florida, speaking, and appearing on different media as the Inspired health and thought leader. She is an authority in her field who has walked her talk. She also values the time with her clients, and her time in nature with her closest family and friends.