Contributing Writer for Wake Up World
What an incredible way to start the day!
This is a blend designed to really set you up for the day, with a sustained boost of energy and its high protein, nutritious and adaptogenic qualities. It’s an easy, fast way to support yourself nutritionally, if you have a busy or stressful schedule, because it is just loaded with supportive stuff.
It works in two ways…
- as a smoothie in a bowl along with extra toppings
- a regular smoothie in a large glass all by itself
It’s delicious both ways. I sometimes like to sprinkle on some extra seeds or my favourite home-made gluten-free granola for a bit of extra crunch.
Maca is an incredible plant, growing at extremely high altitudes (7000ft and above) in the Peruvian Mountains. It’s very hardy with noteworthy adaptogenic properties. An adoptgen is something that helps you cope in stressful situations – physically, mentally and energetically. Maca is well known for supporting and regulating the endocrine system in both men and women. The endocrine system is responsible for healthy functioning of hormones (which are essential for regulation of energy levels, digestion, brain function, the nervous system, fertility and wellness in general). Many women have noticed that it helps to balance hormones reducing menopausal and pre-menstrual symptoms, whilst men have observed that it helps support fertility and sexual functions.
I’ve talked loads about the remarkable benefits of hemp recently. It’s been used for both food and medicinal purposes for thousands of years, although only recently ventured back into the realms of popularity. It is a true, tried n’ tested superfood: a complete protein; loaded with essential fats including the much sought after omega 3; it’s brimming with anti-oxidants. Check out my article to read more about hemp here: Health Benefits of Hemp Seed
A note about tahini. I use a little tahini in this recipe. This not only adds an extra dose of deliciousness to the mix, but it also helps to slow down the release of the fruit sugar from the banana – helping to sustain your energy levels for longer. There are lots of different tahini’s out there… with different tastes (and to be quite frank, it can be a bit off-putting if you get a grainy bitter one). Make sure you get a creamy light hulled version. I tend to avoid the raw ones as they just don’t do if for me. In the UK, Suma, Essentials, Sunita and Cypressa do the best ones. They are all creamy and delicious and they both also do organic, light versions. In the USA my good friend Jen put me onto Achva Organic Tahini which I recommend for my North American readers. Jen did not like tahini until she found that one. Now she’s a big fan… so I am thrilled that she didn’t give up!
I must warn you though, if you stumble on to a delicious source of tahini, you’ll probably get hooked on the stuff, just like we have!
So now we know what is so incredibly good about this breakfast smoothie bowl, let’s make it…
Happy Hemp Superfood Breakfast Bowl with Maca and Tahini
Prep time – 5 mins
Total time – 5 mins
A super healthy smoothie bowl with hemp protein, maca, tahini and ripe banana.
Serves: 1 bowl
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1 heaped tablespoon of hemp protein
- 1 heaped teaspoon of maca powder
- 200ml (2/3 cup) of vanilla plant-based milk
- 1 heaped teaspoon tahini
- Sprinkle of gluten-free, sugar-free granola
- Sprinkle of seeds
- Sprinkle of dessicated coconut
- A few chunks of fresh berries
- Chop the fresh banana into rough chunks and add to the jug with the frozen banana, plant milk, maca, and hemp protein powder and blend until creamy smooth.
- If you want to drink as a smoothie then pour into a glass an enjoy right away.
- If you fancy having a smoothie bowl then simply add the toppings of your choice and enjoy with a spoon.
If you like this recipe then you’ll love my Raw Hemp Protein Power Balls recipe.
Check out my article for lots more about the incredible hemp seed benefits: Why are hemp seeds essential for health?
More articles by Trinity Bourne:
- 10 Reasons Why We all Should be Eating Ginger – Recipes Included
- Top Tips for Making Deliciously Healthy Salads
- No-Bake Carrot Cake Recipe (Gluten Free & Vegan)
- The Health Benefits of Beetroot – Recipes Included
- The Importance of Eating Seeds for a Healthy Diet – Tips, Benefits & Recipes
- Global Animal Industries – the Ghosts in Our Machine
- Foraging Guide – with 12 Nutritious Wild Plants That Anyone Can Find
- Keeping Slugs & Snails Off Your Veggies – Compassionately
- Chocolate Paradise Coconut Bar Recipe – Vegan, Raw, Absolutely Delicious!
- The Superfood Health Benefits of Celery (with Recipes!)
About the author:
Trinity is an experienced, empathic energy worker and the author of ‘Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen’, a recipe book designed to inspire the soul through conscious vegan, wheat-free cuisine.
Around 18 years ago, during a profound spiritual awakening, the world around her shattered. She became engulfed in a white, universal, timeless, formless light until nothing else existed – other than the nameless truth at the core of all sentient beings. During this life-changing experience Trinity experienced the soul of all other sentient beings, trees, creatures, people as one pulsating energy. Transcending her into a higher realm of unity and oneness, this experience imparted a divine energy that she has been sharing through spiritual work ever since.
Understanding that the energy of our food directly impacts sentient life on all levels, Trinity founded Trinity’s Conscious Kitchen, a website devoted to inspiring the soul through conscious vegan cuisine. She is the co-founder of the Openhand Foundation, an organisation dedicated to the evolution of humankind. She works as the divine complement to her soul mate Open to help facilitate the global ascension process and feels incredibly blessed to be of divine service.